Sicklethorn, Asparagus fern
Asparagus falcatus

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Asparagus (a-SPARE-uh-gus) (Info)
Species: falcatus (fal-KAY-tus) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Calistoga, California

Carlsbad, California

Spring, Texas

On Feb 10, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Rating neutral as new in my garden. Attemping to grow from seed. I first noticed this plant on a trip to the Caribbean. It was gracefully perched on some rockery adorning a fancy water feature.

As to the seeds, I rubbed some of the coating off using a nail file. I did not soak in water prior to sowing, but it is presently raining in my area so the humidity should be quite high for the next week (feb 2013). Asparagus ferns grow enthusiastically in my area, so this one should be no exception. If successful, I will eventually grow it in a hanging basket.

On Oct 10, 2011, Anniesfollies from Carlsbad, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

So happy to have finally found which asparagus fern this is - a real beauty with lush green foliage. Since I just got it two days ago I can't report on it's growth, but will add info after I've had it awhile. Can't wait for it to get bigger and have the long arching branches!

Has anyone had any trouble with it being invasive and popping up all over? I will be growing it inside, but in an indoor atrium that does have a dirt bottom (although covered with shade cloth to keep the cats from using it as their litter box) and I don't want want it showing up everywhere as the A Sprengeri does.

Edit: I have to say this plant is a beauty; it's my new favorite houseplant and a real trooper. I got mine three years ago in a 4" pot and didn't get around to up potting i... read more

On Oct 29, 2006, B1ZZYL1ZZY from Javea
Spain (Zone 10a) wrote:

An A++ plant which I have finally found a name for!!!! It survived last winter in my open porch with 2C night temps. I wouldn't be without it.

2 years on - Last spring I transplanted the plant to the bottom of the garden as it got too big and dangerous - attacking guests with its long thorny tendrils. So far it has enjoyed its new home on a dry bank in full sun.

On Sep 28, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a really beautiful plant. It has long arching stems that grow to 6-8' long, or more. (One site said up to 15' long.) It has very sharp thorns.

I keep mine in a very sunny window. Needs to be watered regularly but too much water causes it to rot so you have to keep a good balance. If the tips of the leaves start to brown, it needs more water. Also look very closely for the very tiny webs that may form on the thorns and spray without delay.

From Subtropical, South Africa. I keep mine as a houseplant as I do not think it could withstand freezing weather.

One web site says minumum of 41 degrees F and ideal of 70 degrees F. Not much info out there on this plant.