PlantFiles: Narrow-leaf Evening Primrose, Sundrops
Oenothera fruticosa subsp. glauca

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Oenothera (ee-no-THEE-ruh) (Info)
Species: fruticosa subsp. glauca

Thumbnail #6 of Oenothera fruticosa subsp. glauca by Toxicodendron

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Oenothera fruticosa subsp. glauca by DaylilySLP

Positive Kim_M On Jun 11, 2011, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This Particular species (fruticosa subsp. glauca) produces Red Flower buds before opening Yellow, tinges of red on the stalks, and sometimes mistaken for other sundrops. I have the other common ones and there is definitely a difference.

Positive certified On May 20, 2010, certified from Moberly, MO wrote:

My Sundrops made the transition from Branson MO to northern MO 25 years ago known only as Missouri Primrose.
Survived 2 more moves. Planted in full sun it never spread much but I loved the stunning yellow blooms.
Last year I moved the plants to semi-shade location and they have multiplied into what will be a beautiful drift of color. Now 24" tall. Definitely one of my favorite summer flowers.
Thank you for identifying my Sundrops.

Positive gsteinbe On Jul 8, 2009, gsteinbe from Trenton, NJ wrote:

I got some from a friend who thought that they were buttercups. Just a few plants filled in under my mailbox very nicely within a couple years. That's a fairly shady spot (under the spreading branches of a big maple tree). They flower considerably, but all in one flush over a relatively short time. I've since gotten more from an aunt (who knew them as Evening Primrose) and planted them in a sunnier spot. I look forward to seeing the results in future years and hope that they'll bloom longer in the sun. I've got them with anise hyssop, which is blooming now for me, and I'm hoping that the yellow Evening Primrose and purple anise hyssop will complement each other well (my other planting of Evening Primrose in the shady spot under my mailbox was done blooming before the anise hyssop started). Not a flower to grow with short, delicate plants, but a great ground cover with dainty, pastel yellow flowers that have a soft, paper-thin, silky texture. Definitely never needs staking of any kind -- the stems are tough and almost woody. In winter, a small rosette at ground level persists, turning burgundy in my zone 6 climate.

Positive straea On Jun 28, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I know this as "Sundrops". It is a lovely plant that, for me, begins blooming in early to mid-June and usually continues throughout most of the summer. I have it planted in drier soil than it prefers and so far that has limited its spread, though not its floriferousness! Small bees and other small pollinators like its bright, cheery blooms as much as I do.

Positive hattieruth On Jul 25, 2006, hattieruth from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

In Denver this plant's leaves and stems turn red in the Fall. I love it for it's 2 season color

Positive billyporter On Apr 7, 2006, billyporter from Nichols, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

They have a really great sunny yellow color that goes well with my peptol bismol colored penstemon. They spread, but are easily dug out. I look forward to them in the spring!

Positive Anika On Jul 3, 2005, Anika from Port Allegany, PA wrote:

Sundrops is a wonderful addition to my informal garden. It is aggressive enough to battle the bee balm but delicate enough not to overtake my whole bed. I started with a small clump from a local grower and now have several large clumps to enjoy and share. What a wonderful plant.

Positive bugaboo22 On Jun 18, 2005, bugaboo22 from Hightstown, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Absolutely stunning even in their first season. Mine are very happy in full sun and have been blooming for weeks now.

The red in the flower buds offset the yellow blooms very nicely. It took me a while to find them, but I'm delighted to finally have them in my garden!

Positive Gardengirl1204 On May 25, 2004, Gardengirl1204 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great little plant. Hardy grower. Stays green and grows flat to the ground in winter. Will spread, but is easily pulled up. Also, transfers very easily. You can literally pull one up and put it right in another place. No delicate digging needed.

Positive PeterMastro On Jun 27, 2003, PeterMastro wrote:

I love sundrops! They're spectacular in a mass, and spread as rapidly as ajuga. I'm puttin' 'em all over the place and givin' 'em away, just a couple years after putting one in the ground - in the shade of a mature sycamore, no less! You can't go wrong with these beauties.

Neutral lupinelover On Aug 4, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planting them in dense shade keeps them in their alloted space, but severely limits their bloomtime.

Positive haighr On Aug 1, 2002, haighr from Laurel, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

These will fill up quite a large area and I find they do bloom for several months. They are fabulous for filling in those blank spaces of larger plants. They pull up easily and transplant to another location with very little fuss.

Neutral poppysue On Nov 29, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

The buttery yellow flowers of sundrops are an excellent plant for a splash of bright color. They require little care and are tolerent of many soil conditions. They spread to fill in a large area but are easily pulled out if they out grow their alloted space.

Buford, Georgia