PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Applause'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Applause

Regular Leaf

By metallic
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by metallic

Positive ColdFrame On Dec 21, 2012, ColdFrame from Lawrenceville, OH wrote:

We grow this tomato in our coldframe/greenhouse every year. We get excellent production of large beautiful blemish free red tomatoes. We plant in mid March in 6 inch high framed raised beds that are 40 ft. long and 4 ft. wide. Since these are determinate we are able to plant them staggered at 2 ft. spacing. By mid June they are in production and by mid July they are pulled and composted. We do limit their water to a minimum as they near maturity to help with the flavor. As far as quality, the first couple of ripe tomatoes are bland and mushy but after that the quality improves dramatically. They are a large slicer type tomato. The flesh is firm and the flavor is balanced with just a bit of tang. We sell every one we can grow. We are just finishing another 100ft. hoophouse to plant even more this year. If you are interested in a determinate tomato to grow under plastic you might want to give it a try.

Negative metallic On May 16, 2012, metallic from St. Catharines, ON (Zone 6b) wrote:

I really wanted to like this tomato based on the reviews of others but, alas, it was forgettable. Poor production of mealy and flavourless tomatoes. Will not try again.

Positive lindypuddin On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

started late march 2011 planted out late may, in a raised
planter, full sun. continues to be one of my favorite hybrids.
almost freakish, such large trusses of mid- sized tomatos on such a small plant. plant was starting to brown and wither by late august.
small stems, round even color
small plants..great for small spaces
pruned only lightly
great juicy taste
gives an impressive yield for its size
A GREAT ALL-PURPOSE TOMATO

Positive Fred_in_Maine On May 19, 2010, Fred_in_Maine from Portland, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Applause was equal in flavor to the best large tomatoes I've grown. Right up there with Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Mexico and Paragon. I was expecting it to be a fairly early Beefsteak but It was late in my zone 5 garden. DTM was about 100 days from transplant. But I wasn't surprised by the late DTM. 2009 was the worst growing season Maine has ever seen. A cloudy, foggy, wet and cold growing season with torrential rains and precious few days of real sun. Everything was very slow to produce. I'm growing Applause again this year (2010) with hopes for a normal growing season

Positive b54red On Dec 12, 2009, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

Fairly small determinate plant with poor foliage cover that produces very early. I had ripe fruit in less than 50 days after setting out. The tomatoes look freakishly large on the anemic looking plant. Taste is okay for such an early tomato and size is impressive. Texture was a bit mealy. Produced only early, later plantings did poorly. I thought it would make a great fall tomato; not down here. It does terrible once it heats up. I will try to plant even earlier next year.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 4, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An early round red. Fruits run 8-12 ounces. 66 days to maturity. Compact determinate plant. Hybrid VFFA.

Dothan, Alabama