Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Lime Green Salad'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Lime Green Salad
Additional cultivar information:(aka Green Elf)
Hybridized by T. Wagner

Knoxville, Tennessee

Copperas Cove, Texas

Elgin, Texas

On Jan 29, 2013, charleyball from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

i grew 27 different heirloom tomatoes last year lime green salad was the best tasting one to me.it tast just like its name the freshist green salad with lime juice on it.golf ball sized tomatoes lots of blooms only25% of the blooms produced but still had plenty of tomatoes.small plant maybe 2ft tall dark green leaves.a must grow for me every year

On Oct 12, 2012, Jeanne72 from Round Lake, IL wrote:

I live an hour northwest of Chicago, close to the Wisconsin border, and grew 3 plants this year from seed. When I began hardening them off in May, we had fierce winds, but they held up to it. I transplanted them into a sq ft garden plot, only allowing a 1x1 ft sq space per plant, which may have been more than adequate given their very compact nature. These plants (we planted 20 varieties) were one of the first to mature. Their very dark green, compact, and bushy foliage actually hid the tomatoes themselves. I was surprised when I found these already ripe tomatoes in the garden. They varied in size, but averaged around that of a golf ball. I definitely agree with others about the flavor. Absolutely love them in salads, but they also do great on homemade pizza [we layer a pan tossed parm and... read more

On Feb 3, 2009, Cleo1717 from Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Wonderful little tomato. This is a very pretty, compact plant and I often plant it in my flower border. Fairly productive with great flavor, especially if you wait until the fruit has a yellow cast to it - it's much sweeter than. Makes some of the best green salsa.

On Feb 18, 2008, David_Paul from Clinton, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Here in CT last year (one of the best years for tomatoes in a decade or longer) fruit set was excellent. Put out two plants, unstaked, in the dirt and in full sun on May 15th. Had the first ripe by the end of July. The foliage, darker than any other of the other 30 cultivars I had nearby, formed a unusual canopy which hid bunches of pretty fruit.

On Nov 23, 2007, pennyrile from Evansville, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lime Green Salad can surprise and disappoint you if you're not ready for it's propensity to display huge sprays of blossoms of which it seems never more than 10% set fruit. However, if you like a sweet but zippy tomato and enjoy a bright, kiwi-like green garnish in your fresh leaf salads, LGS is the perfect dwarf tomato keep in the same size containers as Patio and take directly to the cutting board. After growing several plants per year in 2006 and 2007, I have found significant variance in fruit size and flavor from plant to plant depending on growing media, fertilization and watering schedules.

On Jul 23, 2007, inwitari from Albrightsville, PA wrote:

This is my first try at these. The seedlings I ordered were healthy and strong, and the plants have grown very well. The plants have hit a good three feet, and are now setting fruit. They are supposed to be big producers, so we will see what happens.

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very nice for such a compact and early plant. Tart, but with a hint of spicy sweetness. Pretty fruits, lime green interior, amber blush on the exterior. An excellent choice for making a delicious tomato sorbet.

Tom Wagner is the hybridizer of this variety -- the original name is Green Elf.