Hybrid Perpetual, Old Garden Rose 'Reine des Violettes'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Reine des Violettes
Additional cultivar information:(aka Queen of the Violets)
Hybridized by Mille-Mallet
Registered or introduced: 1860

Hybrid Perpetual

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Trained to climb

Other Details:

Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Olympia, Washington

Tacoma, Washington

Kingwood, West Virginia

On Jul 5, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Exceptional super sweet smelling rose. Almost thorn-less, the color is hard to describe very bright pink with a little bit of purple in there, magenta? I guess that is a violet color and hence the name. Blooming from a rooted cutting for the first time for me this yr and more buds are coming on. Planted in shade its well behaved.

On Mar 25, 2010, oldroselover from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I hard pruned my Reine des Violettes rose toward the end of February. Most of my old roses are still kind of in a state of shock, since I never prune this much off of them (needed to do it, since I will be moving and moving all of them as well). The very first buds I have seen since then on about twenty or so rose plants are on this rose, Sunny Knockout, and Madame Antoine Mari. I am really impressed with the hardiness of Reine des Violettes! The Antique Rose Emporium says that this rose requires hard pruning each spring to keep it somewhat compact. It is a beautiful old fashioned looking rose with a wonderful fragrance!

On Dec 9, 2009, mauiprincess from Glendora, CA wrote:

Beautiful lilac/deep mauve, fragrant, thornless rose with no pests or mildew problems. Spring bloom is the best. Hard pruning in December/January in Southern California. Light pruning after blooming. I was told this rose was in Monet's Garden. I had to order it from the nursery since I only found out about it in a magazine. It is the prize of all my roses. I have three of these beautiful roses and would love more and highly recommend it.

On Jun 7, 2009, Marisa_K from Lincoln, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mine tends to want to throw loooong canes, so I bend them down and peg them. It makes a nice lateral bloom display but it does take up space. It can be kept as a shrub but it takes rigorous pruning. The color is a lovely smoky purple. If you're short on space, I'd recommend Ebb Tide instead...very similar color, compact plant, and a constant bloomer.

On May 29, 2008, willowwind from Moundridge, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Beautiful purplish-pink, very fragrant blooms cover my bush each spring and reappear off and on through the summer with dead-heading. I've had no disease problems and love the lack of thorns. Mine is even growing well in dappled shade. Definitely should be tried in more gardens.

On Apr 22, 2008, chrisw99 from Los Altos, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

The fragrance is strong, sweet, peppery and it lasts even when the petals are dried, so this is an excellent rose for pot pourri.

On May 18, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this rose and have 3 of them. It is a short climber and blooms very well and has a spicy fragrance. I get 2 or 3 nice flushes from them each season. I even found blooms at the top of one of my Reine des Violettes in late November this year. It's very hardy in my zone 5 garden.

On Feb 13, 2001, Grits from Pineville, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

1860 6-8' Flowers repeatedly. Zones 5-9

A beautiful rose! It makes one think of pastel crayons from pink through lilac and blue to deep magenta, smeared one over the other to achieve the delightful smoky effect of its color.

In some soils, the pink is predominant, but it is mostly known for it's blue/purple tones. The scent of this rose is intoxicating.