Floribunda Rose 'Iceberg'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Iceberg
Additional cultivar information:(New Generation Roses Collection, aka KORbin, Schneewittchen, Fe des Neiges)
Hybridized by Kordes
Registered or introduced: 1958

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

White (w)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Susceptible to black spot

Prone to weak stems

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Ontario, California

Redwood City, California

San Anselmo, California

San Clemente, California

San Francisco, California (2 reports)

Santa Ana, California

Lafayette, Tennessee

Middleton, Tennessee

Burleson, Texas

Deer Park, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Irving, Texas

Hazel Dell North, Washington

Tacoma, Washington

Yakima, Washington

On Sep 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Here on the humid east coast of N. America, this rose is a blackspot magnet. It defoliates after the first flush of bloom unless given good conditions and a weekly spraying with a toxic fungicide. It isn't a good rose for a beginner in this part of the country.

Some rose fans don't mind a defoliated shrub as long as it blooms, but I think a leafless shrub is an ugly shrub, even if it sometimes bears pretty flowers.

I'm very skeptical about the above claim that this rose is hardy in Z4a, and the Zip Code reports below suggest that Z5a is pushing its limit.

On Jun 9, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Easy rose for beginners. No disease or insect problems. Flowers nicely 10 months of the yr. A lightly scented rose and flower last on plant but doesn't last as cut flowers. No need to dead head but need a little pruning to keep plant neat looking. I started mine from a cutting. A strong grower like a bush.

On Apr 19, 2013, parisgigi from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I planted an Iceberg rose tree about 1 wk ago and at first it had flowers. This is my first experience with a rose tree. When the 3 flower clusters died I cut off the dead ones back to a 5 leaf like I am supposed to. I also gave it Miracle gro and have been watering it (Jax FL). But now I have no flowers. It looks like some shoots are starting but every post I've read has had a lot of plentiful repeat blooms. Is that going to take time? Is it because my plant is new? Shouldn't I cut off the dead flowers as they die? Help!

On Jul 16, 2011, morti234 from Venice, FL wrote:

I had heard that Iceberg rose had weak stems and the flowers drooped but I bought it anyway and it is a super plant. However the limbs did droop when I had it in a place that didn't get full sun all day. I have since moved it to the front of my corner lot where it gets sun almost from horizon to horizon and it really doesn't wilt now. Caterpillars do prefer this rose over any of my other roses so Thuricide takes care of this occasional problem. I live in Venice,FL. Do buy this rose anyway. You will love it. So what if it droops a little for you. Morti

On May 15, 2011, sewbge from Atlanta, GA wrote:

Had this in my garden for at least 7 years. In the humidity of Atlanta the leaves struggle with spotting but the plant does not seem to notice flowering with abundance. Yes the leaves eventually fall off (I do not spray or put anything on it) but the rose grows more and after the first large flush continues to flower spasmodically. I have seen this rose in California where there is not humidity. There is really no comparison - but I love this rose and look forward to it flowering each spring.

On Feb 20, 2011, kimberlihiggins from Little Rock, AR wrote:

I had always avoided roses thinking that they would just be to much trouble with the spraying and the pruning....but now I am convinced that there is no gardener in the world who is not eventually seduced by the lure of the rose. Iceberg was my first. Picked by my husband, who knows nothing of gardening. Admittedly out of my own immaturity in my knowledge of roses there were times when I cursed his choice. Is it the fault of the rose that the south is a utopia for pests? Not to mention the perfect mecca for mildew. Oh, this blasted humidity! Iceberg, like any rose if you live in the south, must be nurtured and tended. Every spring without fail, I am amazed at the explosive beauty of this rose.

On Jan 26, 2011, parklnursery from Beaverdam, VA wrote:

'Iceberg' has required no attention in my garden since it was planted in 1987. It flowers in half-shade without any water during several droughts in zone 7a. I give this rose 10 points out of a possible 10.

On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have had two Icebergs in my life. They were planted at the same time. One died from the winter after a few years. The other keeps flourishing. It does have to be boxed up and buried in ground to survive a Wisconsin winter.

The best thing about Iceberg is that it is truly white. Not sort of white, not cream-colored, but pure white. As such it makes a nice contrast to other roses, whether in a bouquet or in the garden. Although it's a floribunda, the stems are long enough to use it as a cutflower, though you will always be using a spray of blooms, never a single bloom. As a cutflower it does not last long.

Some seem to think it has a strong fragrance; others nearly none. My experience is that it is lightly scented.

On Jul 27, 2010, tierrarose from Reno, NV wrote:

Very hardy repeat bloomer in zone 5A-is doing well even tho it was hit with an over spray of Roundup! Has zero scent over here, which was one of the reasons I purchased this shrub-disappointed.

On Jun 1, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I live in an area that is very humid, hot and rains pretty much every single day... sometimes the rain doesn't stop for days. So every rose bush I have (no matter their resistance to disease), will ultimately have blackspot.

I have had this bush for a few months now. It's doing very well... although, if I didn't treat it with disease control, it would probably have a HORRIBLE case of blackspot. Since I do treat it, only a few leaves are effected.

It's quite the bloomer and I am quite happy with it! The blooms are a very stunning bright white.

On May 9, 2010, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I never fuss over this rose and it is always in bloom.

On Nov 3, 2008, mpl_35 from Navasota, TX wrote:

Planted this rose in the early spring. It has been in full bloom since spring, with no sign of letting up into the first week of November. It is staying about 3 feet by 3 feet in size. For most of the year it was very healthy, but lately it has been covered in blackspot (no spraying). While it is dropping leaves like crazy, it is still covered in flowers. Despite its current state, I still recommend this rose because of its prolific blooming habit.

On Feb 21, 2008, Connie_G from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought this rose already trained into a rose tree. It's in a large clay pot and I've had it for over 5 years! I trim it around Valentine's Day and it blooms like crazy with a lot of neglect. It has never had any problems with black spot, but then
Ausin isn't as humid as some areas.

I have "abandoned" white flowers for the time being but can't bear to part with this old friend! :-)

On Jun 4, 2007, JimDandy3 from Naperville, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Chicago burbs, IL
I bought it cheap, bare root, grafted, from KMart, figuring if it didn't do well, no big loss. Planted it in a plastic pot and a month or so later it is in full bloom and looks beautiful.
So far I see no blackspot.

On May 19, 2007, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

I got this rose because other white roses turned brown in the heat. This one blooms non-stop and the blooms stay very pretty. I don't have to deadhead and haven't even pruned my 2 huge shrubs in years. One of the shrubs has been moved twice and shows no signs of stress. They are so large I can't get under them to fertilize and they don't seem to notice.

On Mar 22, 2007, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

Despite heapings of abuse (starting out in a "body bag" from a big box store, heavy soil, skimpy sun, bungled pruning and thuggy bindweed growing over it each year) this rose has held up and bloomed. It's done pretty well standing up to black spot too.

The flowers are beautiful, crisp clean glowing white. Plant this one where you can easily enjoy it after dusk. They have a sweet scent but it's mellow, not powerfully wafting.

I do notice a tendency to narrow twiggy growth, but I haven't seen that it affects bloom or makes my plant floppy-looking.

On Aug 9, 2006, IrisLover79 from Westchester, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Iceburg's unusual, but neat, blooming habit. For me, the first flush of blooms are like tea roses, but when it reblooms again, the blooms are more like wild roses. Very interesting. It's like having 2 roses in one! I had one for years, but I moved it before the fall and killed it. Now my mom bought another and it's doing well. Oh, and the flowers smell HEAVENLY!

On Jun 20, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have this rose in 36" standard form. Non-stop bloomer, I adore it.

On Apr 30, 2006, Citrine from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a gorgeous white floribunda rose! It loves the heat of Las Vegas and never takes a break blooming. Each stem explodes with clusters of sweet smelling blooms that are slow to fade. Maybe this is just the case where I live, but I've found the flowers to be very fragrant, almost as much so as "Mr. Lincoln".

On Jan 6, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my Favorite Rose.
It is a good climber and has a lovely display of flowers here in my yard.
And will re-bloom for me with a little care of dead heading.
It smells Wonderful.
You could have trouble with it if you are in a wet area.
We live on a farm and have ponds and i have to fight black spot on some of my climbing roses but this one has got the only dry spot in the yard.
Micro climates are how this yard is set up.
like most of you know some things just grow better in some places than in others.

On Jul 5, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

just recently planted my bare root and it's budding leaves. Will see how it does here in zone 11.

8/03/04 -have changed rating from neutral to positive as just a month from planting and have had several flowers already. I think the buds are especially pretty. there is no discernible scent.

On Oct 10, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have one of these plants for about 10 years at least it has really been through it in that time and still it amazes me how many flowers it produces. It started in a little circle of flowers I had at my city home it grew to about 2 ft. and stopped, No blooms and was looking badly so I moved it to the lake house about 38 miles away. It grew in between two blue hydraneas that were medium sized plant at first. The rose plant was eventully covered up but still stretched out from inbetween the larger plants to show some flowers. It was finally moved to where it resides today, in the middle of my flower garden, It gets nipped by the cold but really only after it snows which here is onlf a couple of days it is mulched every year with the hay I use as fall yard decoration and this year it ev... read more

On Oct 17, 2002, peterleroux wrote:

Excellent for landscaping.
In drier climates, black spot is not a problem- it often appears but does not slow rose down at all. Can be a little messy in a small garden when it drops petals. Flowers 10 months a year in a mild climate.

On Aug 22, 2002, Roselaine from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

The most unusual characteristic of this rose is should you not overfeed it, it becomes gangly and stringy(is the best way I can describe this)....The climber sport "Iceberg", is a good producer of blooms also....to 15' high,(susceptible to blackspot also!) Keeping the climber to three major canes is a good idea, as the growth can get gangly!