PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Iceberg'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Iceberg
Additional cultivar information: (aka Schneewittchen, Fe des Neiges, KORbin)
Hybridized by Kordes; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1958

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

White (w)

Bloom Shape:
Double
Informal

Flower Fragrance:
Slightly Fragrant

Habit:
Shrub
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Susceptible to black spot
Prone to weak stems
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By Paulwhwest
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Paulwhwest

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by BUFFY690

Neutral coriaceous On Sep 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Here on the humid east coast, this rose is a blackspot magnet. It defoliates unless given good conditions and a weekly spraying with a toxic fungicide. It isn't a good rose for a beginner in this part of the country.

Some rose fans don't mind a defoliated shrub as long as it blooms, but I think a leafless shrub is an ugly shrub, even if it has pretty flowers.

Positive lancer23 On Jun 9, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Easy rose for beginners. No disease or insect problems. Flowers nicely 10 months of the yr. A lightly scented rose and flower last on plant but doesn't last as cut flowers. No need to dead head but need a little pruning to keep plant neat looking. I started mine from a cutting. A strong grower like a bush.

Neutral parisgigi On Apr 19, 2013, parisgigi from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I planted an Iceberg rose tree about 1 wk ago and at first it had flowers. This is my first experience with a rose tree. When the 3 flower clusters died I cut off the dead ones back to a 5 leaf like I am supposed to. I also gave it Miracle gro and have been watering it (Jax FL). But now I have no flowers. It looks like some shoots are starting but every post I've read has had a lot of plentiful repeat blooms. Is that going to take time? Is it because my plant is new? Shouldn't I cut off the dead flowers as they die? Help!

Positive morti234 On Jul 16, 2011, morti234 from Venice, FL wrote:

I had heard that Iceberg rose had weak stems and the flowers drooped but I bought it anyway and it is a super plant. However the limbs did droop when I had it in a place that didn't get full sun all day. I have since moved it to the front of my corner lot where it gets sun almost from horizon to horizon and it really doesn't wilt now. Caterpillars do prefer this rose over any of my other roses so Thuricide takes care of this occasional problem. I live in Venice,FL. Do buy this rose anyway. You will love it. So what if it droops a little for you. Morti

Positive sewbge On May 15, 2011, sewbge from Atlanta, GA wrote:

Had this in my garden for at least 7 years. In the humidity of Atlanta the leaves struggle with spotting but the plant does not seem to notice flowering with abundance. Yes the leaves eventually fall off (I do not spray or put anything on it) but the rose grows more and after the first large flush continues to flower spasmodically. I have seen this rose in California where there is not humidity. There is really no comparison - but I love this rose and look forward to it flowering each spring.

Positive kimberlihiggins On Feb 20, 2011, kimberlihiggins from Little Rock, AR wrote:

I had always avoided roses thinking that they would just be to much trouble with the spraying and the pruning....but now I am convinced that there is no gardener in the world who is not eventually seduced by the lure of the rose. Iceberg was my first. Picked by my husband, who knows nothing of gardening. Admittedly out of my own immaturity in my knowledge of roses there were times when I cursed his choice. Is it the fault of the rose that the south is a utopia for pests? Not to mention the perfect mecca for mildew. Oh, this blasted humidity! Iceberg, like any rose if you live in the south, must be nurtured and tended. Every spring without fail, I am amazed at the explosive beauty of this rose.

Positive parklnursery On Jan 26, 2011, parklnursery from Beaverdam, VA wrote:

'Iceberg' has required no attention in my garden since it was planted in 1987. It flowers in half-shade without any water during several droughts in zone 7a. I give this rose 10 points out of a possible 10.

Positive tgwWhale On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have had two Icebergs in my life. They were planted at the same time. One died from the winter after a few years. The other keeps flourishing. It does have to be boxed up and buried in ground to survive a Wisconsin winter.

The best thing about Iceberg is that it is truly white. Not sort of white, not cream-colored, but pure white. As such it makes a nice contrast to other roses, whether in a bouquet or in the garden. Although it's a floribunda, the stems are long enough to use it as a cutflower, though you will always be using a spray of blooms, never a single bloom. As a cutflower it does not last long.

Some seem to think it has a strong fragrance; others nearly none. My experience is that it is lightly scented.

Neutral tierrarose On Jul 27, 2010, tierrarose from Reno, NV wrote:

Very hardy repeat bloomer in zone 5A-is doing well even tho it was hit with an over spray of Roundup! Has zero scent over here, which was one of the reasons I purchased this shrub-disappointed.

Positive HolyChickin On Jun 1, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I live in an area that is very humid, hot and rains pretty much every single day... sometimes the rain doesn't stop for days. So every rose bush I have (no matter their resistance to disease), will ultimately have blackspot.

I have had this bush for a few months now. It's doing very well... although, if I didn't treat it with disease control, it would probably have a HORRIBLE case of blackspot. Since I do treat it, only a few leaves are effected.

It's quite the bloomer and I am quite happy with it! The blooms are a very stunning bright white.

Positive ctindell On May 9, 2010, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I never fuss over this rose and it is always in bloom.

Positive mpl_35 On Nov 3, 2008, mpl_35 from Navasota, TX wrote:

Planted this rose in the early spring. It has been in full bloom since spring, with no sign of letting up into the first week of November. It is staying about 3 feet by 3 feet in size. For most of the year it was very healthy, but lately it has been covered in blackspot (no spraying). While it is dropping leaves like crazy, it is still covered in flowers. Despite its current state, I still recommend this rose because of its prolific blooming habit.

Positive Connie_G On Feb 21, 2008, Connie_G from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought this rose already trained into a rose tree. It's in a large clay pot and I've had it for over 5 years! I trim it around Valentine's Day and it blooms like crazy with a lot of neglect. It has never had any problems with black spot, but then
Ausin isn't as humid as some areas.

I have "abandoned" white flowers for the time being but can't bear to part with this old friend! :-)

Positive JimDandy3 On Jun 4, 2007, JimDandy3 from Naperville, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Chicago burbs, IL
I bought it cheap, bare root, grafted, from KMart, figuring if it didn't do well, no big loss. Planted it in a plastic pot and a month or so later it is in full bloom and looks beautiful.
So far I see no blackspot.

Positive cactuspatch On May 19, 2007, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

I got this rose because other white roses turned brown in the heat. This one blooms non-stop and the blooms stay very pretty. I don't have to deadhead and haven't even pruned my 2 huge shrubs in years. One of the shrubs has been moved twice and shows no signs of stress. They are so large I can't get under them to fertilize and they don't seem to notice.

Positive girlndocs On Mar 22, 2007, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

Despite heapings of abuse (starting out in a "body bag" from a big box store, heavy soil, skimpy sun, bungled pruning and thuggy bindweed growing over it each year) this rose has held up and bloomed. It's done pretty well standing up to black spot too.

The flowers are beautiful, crisp clean glowing white. Plant this one where you can easily enjoy it after dusk. They have a sweet scent but it's mellow, not powerfully wafting.

I do notice a tendency to narrow twiggy growth, but I haven't seen that it affects bloom or makes my plant floppy-looking.

Positive IrisLover79 On Aug 9, 2006, IrisLover79 from Westchester, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Iceburg's unusual, but neat, blooming habit. For me, the first flush of blooms are like tea roses, but when it reblooms again, the blooms are more like wild roses. Very interesting. It's like having 2 roses in one! I had one for years, but I moved it before the fall and killed it. Now my mom bought another and it's doing well. Oh, and the flowers smell HEAVENLY!

Positive vossner On Jun 20, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have this rose in 36" standard form. Non-stop bloomer, I adore it.

Positive Citrine On Apr 30, 2006, Citrine from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a gorgeous white floribunda rose! It loves the heat of Las Vegas and never takes a break blooming. Each stem explodes with clusters of sweet smelling blooms that are slow to fade. Maybe this is just the case where I live, but I've found the flowers to be very fragrant, almost as much so as "Mr. Lincoln".

Positive rh3708 On Jan 6, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my Favorite Rose.
It is a good climber and has a lovely display of flowers here in my yard.
And will re-bloom for me with a little care of dead heading.
It smells Wonderful.
You could have trouble with it if you are in a wet area.
We live on a farm and have ponds and i have to fight black spot on some of my climbing roses but this one has got the only dry spot in the yard.
Micro climates are how this yard is set up.
like most of you know some things just grow better in some places than in others.

Robbie

Positive punaheledp On Jul 5, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

just recently planted my bare root and it's budding leaves. Will see how it does here in zone 11.

8/03/04 -have changed rating from neutral to positive as just a month from planting and have had several flowers already. I think the buds are especially pretty. there is no discernible scent.

Positive BUFFY690 On Oct 10, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have one of these plants for about 10 years at least it has really been through it in that time and still it amazes me how many flowers it produces. It started in a little circle of flowers I had at my city home it grew to about 2 ft. and stopped, No blooms and was looking badly so I moved it to the lake house about 38 miles away. It grew in between two blue hydraneas that were medium sized plant at first. The rose plant was eventully covered up but still stretched out from inbetween the larger plants to show some flowers. It was finally moved to where it resides today, in the middle of my flower garden, It gets nipped by the cold but really only after it snows which here is onlf a couple of days it is mulched every year with the hay I use as fall yard decoration and this year it even got smoe amendments in its soil. It has been blooming since the last of April. I love this little rose it is very compact now and easily trained to go whichever way you want. I would reccommend this plant for anyone who thinks they can't grow flowers. It seems if you can just get this one in the ground you will have flowers.9/03

The more I dead head the more this sucker blooms. We have already had some pretty cool weather and the other roses I have are leaving me and this plant is Still Green Still Producing New Growth, and Still flowering like crazy.11/03

4-2005
This rose is still performing well I gave it a hard center prune in Feburary this year and by the new photo you can't really tell. It is covered in buds I can't wait for it to bloom. This is a perfect rose for the beginning gardener.

Positive peterleroux On Oct 17, 2002, peterleroux wrote:

Excellent for landscaping.
In drier climates, black spot is not a problem- it often appears but does not slow rose down at all. Can be a little messy in a small garden when it drops petals. Flowers 10 months a year in a mild climate.

Neutral Roselaine On Aug 22, 2002, Roselaine from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

The most unusual characteristic of this rose is should you not overfeed it, it becomes gangly and stringy(is the best way I can describe this)....The climber sport "Iceberg", is a good producer of blooms also....to 15' high,(susceptible to blackspot also!) Keeping the climber to three major canes is a good idea, as the growth can get gangly!

Mobile, Alabama
Ontario, California
Redwood City, California
San Anselmo, California
San Clemente, California
San Francisco, California (2 reports)
Santa Ana, California
Lafayette, Tennessee
Middleton, Tennessee
Burleson, Texas
Deer Park, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Irving, Texas