Small Palafoxia

Palafoxia callosa

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Palafoxia (pal-uh-FOKS-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: callosa (kal-OH-suh) (Info)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Paoli, Indiana

Arlington, Texas

Gregory, Texas

Midland, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

On Oct 8, 2012, scubamom from Gregory, TX wrote:

Large groups of these can be seen along Highway 281 between Spring Branch and Blanco Texas. Also along FM 306 near 281. Gorgeous, light, and airy. Very striking and pretty.

On Oct 25, 2011, jameso from Longview, TX wrote:

I was in east Texas digging up a plant and as an after thought pulled up two of these plants. The next day I was in the process of taking them out of a bucket of water to plant them and noticed 5 butterfly catapillers on them. Right now I'm assuming they were pearly crescenspots.

On Oct 9, 2011, prosdokaobasile from Mebane, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This volunteered in my gardens. I didn't know what it was at first but then flowered and then I stumbled upon it here at DG. The plant is long and stringy so would do well with other plants that would help support it but the flowers are petite and a nice shade of pink. In the county, they grow in full sun (not much choice) but in my yards, the front got afternoon sun and in the back, got morning sun. Not much difference in the different settings.

On Aug 27, 2011, greenneck from Paoli, IN wrote:

The hotter and drier its habitat, the happier it is. Mine grows in almost pure crushed limestone on southwest facing hillside, and it romps!

On Sep 8, 2006, indirt from Hico, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

very pretty, very dainty If I had enough of it, I'd use it as a small filler for fresh arrangements. I wish I knew more about how to grow it.