Common Camellia, Japanese Camellia 'April Tryst'

Camellia japonica

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: April Tryst
» View all varieties of Camellias

Covington, Georgia

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Reedville, Virginia

On Nov 19, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This camellia has been a wonderful addition to my garden. It stays deep green all winter long. It blooms reliably here in late April Mine gets total shade. It's soil stays mildy damp.

On Apr 10, 2008, DeenDixie from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

I am practically dying to have a cold hardy DEEP RED COLOR camellia that will grow in my northwest Arkansas garden (zone 6B) and produce largish flowers. I tried Blood of China before.... the plant survived as a puny little thing, but lost its buds each year, thereby earning it a trip to my compost heap.

On Apr 9, 2008, susanshand from Reedville, VA wrote:

This Camellia bloomed so gloriously, so boldly, it left me breathless. It was like a naughty innocent, the Britney Spears of Camellias, the flowers were both fearlessly red and modestly delicate. It was full on in bloom by April 4 and is still going strong. If I sound slightly awe-struck, it is because I am, having completely underestimated its impact against my little white house in early spring. The only thing special I did, besides plunk it in the ground and ignore it, was to feed it some coffee grounds a few times over the winter. I will re-evaluate the role of Camellias in my perennial garden after experiencing this delight. (I am Zone 7b)

On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Camellia 'April Tryst' CAMELLIA EG (z6)
SHOWY! deep rose-red anemone-form (with a huge pom-pom in the middle!) flowers are produced heavily mid-to-late spring against the glossy green foliage of this upright, hardy shrub. PSh/Med