PlantFiles: Common Camellia, Japanese Camellia
Camellia japonica 'Spring's Promise'

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Spring's Promise

» View all varieties of Camellias

Rose/Mauve

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

By RonDEZone7a
Thumbnail #1 of Camellia japonica by RonDEZone7a

Positive RonDEZone7a On Nov 28, 2009, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

This camellia does very well in Wilmington, Delaware (Zone 7a) where we are in the northern edge of "camellia country". My specimen has shown great hardiness with beautiful glossy evergreen foliage and no winter damage. I have it planted in semi-shade in a sheltered alley between my house and my neighbors - but I suspect it would do OK if planted more out in the open. It blooms anytime from November until April, whenever there is a mild spell. The flowers hold up to at least a light frost. Definitely a good camellia to try in Zone 7a and probably 6b. Watch out for rodents / rabbits chewing it's trunk in winter - they apparently like camellias when they are really hungry. I recommend wrapping any camellia trunk with a few rounds of chicken-wire in winter for that reason.

Wilmington, Delaware