Bush Lily, Clivia Lily, St. John's Lily, Boslelie, Fire Lily
Clivia 'Golden Dragon'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clivia (KLY-vee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Dragon
Synonym:Clivia miniata

Partial to Full Shade

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Atherton, California

Brooksville, Florida

Madison, Wisconsin

negative

On May 23, 2010, lauraja from Madison, WI wrote:

Hello,
Should I place or plant my clivia outside for the summer in zone 5, or keep it inside as a house plant?

On Nov 1, 2009, wirescrossed from Huddersfield
United Kingdom wrote:

Two years ago I was given a Clivia Lily which I keep on a shelf in a south facing bathroom. The plant was an 'offshoot' from one belonging to my friend. This plant has produced at least six splendid orange blooms in that time, has thrown up a healthy new plant of eleven leaves and this week I have noticed another new plant beginning to grow in the same pot. The friend who gave me this advises not transplanting the new plants until the pot is well and truly potbound. Would anyone else like to share their experience with me. Sorry cannot post a picture as it is not currently in flower.

On Oct 6, 2009, revlar from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased this as a blooming size Golden Dragon in the fall of 2006 from a California grower and it has yet to flower. These plants do not like their roots disturbed and sometimes can take several months to adjust but it has been 3 years !!
It gets the same care as all of the other Clivia so I hope this spring it will bloom. Haven't removed any of the older droopy leaves at the base as shown in the photo above to keep the leaf count up for blooming (Clivia usually don't bloom until they are 4 years old or until they have 12 leaves) Have been using a bloom booster fertilizer on this plant this year so keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone else have a problem getting this yellow flowering Clivia to bloom?

I will post a photo as soon as it does bloom.

On Jun 22, 2008, WNYwillieB from Buffalo, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought mine as a small, young plant with only 4 leaves in 2006. It has taken a little while to adjust to my "style" of greenhousing. Here, in 2008, it has finally started to flourish and really take off, along with 'Aztec Gold'. My collegiate / greenhouse mentor has grown orangish clivias for years, they always looked awesome in bloom. When the dragon flowers, I will post that picture.

On Jun 6, 2008, quiltjean from North Chelmsford, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

My Clivia has bloomed once properly, and twice it has blasted--- bloomed down in the inside and peeped out, instead of growing up and blooming at normal height. The plant is flourishing, producing an offset with several leaves, but I don't know what I am doing to incur this annoyance.