Tomato 'Porter's Pride'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Porter's Pride
Additional cultivar information:(aka Porter's Improved)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Tucson, Arizona

Moss Point, Mississippi

Joshua, Texas

On Jul 3, 2013, NoFaceBook from Tucson, AZ wrote:

Simple. I happened to hit on Dave's Garden, and it said "disease resistance unknown tell us." So I tried to tell you. How was I to know that signing in would take over half an hour? Too much work for a short message: Porter's tomatoes appear to resist blossom end rot.
Another thing about them: In Tucson they are a plum tomato. Due the heat, tomatoes grow smaller than most places. But, they have the same amount of sugar as the full sized tomato, so they taste sweeter. They grow well here, and produce all summer.

On Oct 29, 2008, twiggybuds from Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

Good acidic flavor, slows down in high heat but keeps going. I pruned mine back and when it started cooling down in September it started setting lots more. It's the end of Oct. and loaded. Have not had disease problems with this one. This is also sold as Porter's Improved.

On Jul 22, 2006, Tomatoholic from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant was my biggest, fullest, most beautiful plant. It is still going strong in 100+ day after day with high humidity. The taste is pretty good...but mostly, I like the way it is such a champ to keep setting fruit in this weather in July! Most of my other plants have shut down for the summer.

Also, I noticed it does not form fruit in "clusters" but as individual fruit.

I think I'll keep this plant as my spring/summer garden. I need to get a picture of some ripening b/c the color is very pretty. Pinkish peach.

On Oct 14, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 70 day improved version of the Porter, Larger (3 ounce) bright red fruits.