Violet-flowered Petunia, Prostrate Petunia, Wild Petunia
Petunia integrifolia

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Species: integrifolia (in-teg-ree-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Petunia violacea

North Tonawanda, New York

Columbia, South Carolina

Dike, Texas

On Dec 4, 2012, HatcherTiger from Lafayette, LA wrote:

Blooms continuously in the high heat and humidity of southern Louisiana. It can be invasive and doesn't give up its spot easily if planted in clay soil. If you don't want it to spread stay on top of pruning / removing.

On Oct 5, 2009, mpotoczniak from El Cerrito, CA wrote:

This almost looked like some sort of freak plant, it started out like every other petunia I have ever had...they are pretty but common...and then it just took off and sprawled in all directions and around other plants in my garden...in like 3 weeks it was all over the place! It was great..and the profuse blooms were amazing. It is now slowing in it bloom, so I may cut it back as they suggested where I bought it. They say to cut it back at the base and add some compost. I may just do that and see what happens.

On Jun 29, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love the more wildling look of the older petunias and this one is hands-down the easiest of them to grow. It rapidly forms a large mound that trails over the edges of window boxes/hanging baskets or winds around other plants in the garden, covered in non-stop blooms. It is also the only taller/bushier petunia I've grown that the squirrels here usually leave alone and whose leaves the slugs here rarely eat.

On Apr 29, 2008, csn0315 from Summerdale, AL wrote:

This is a hot perennial in south Alabama! It is an excellent ground cover and tolerates humid heat of the southern Alabama climate without fail. I grows in the sand on the beach. It is somewhat aggressive, evergreen and blooms all year. Absolutely a fabulous petunia!

On Sep 13, 2005, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grows very easily from seed and flowered all summer long. I already have seedlings where it has reseeded in one of the containers that I had it growing in this summer.

I also want to add that here in my zone 5-6 garden in western NY, this petunia does reliably reseed the next year. From one basket that I planted last spring I made up 3 large baskets from reseeders this spring after the old basket sat out in the garden all winter long and the new seedlings started to bloom when they were only about 2 inches tall.

Addition to my original description: I have had reseeders since the first year growing this plant. This year I filled two hanging baskets and bordered one new flower bed. I also have several growing in various locations around the garden. It jus... read more

On Jan 27, 2005, jmkriege from Verona, WI wrote:

Grows easily from seed (available from JL Hudson's). Beautiful small pink/magenta flowers; no dead-heading; spreads and weaves easily among the perennials.

On Aug 10, 2004, psychloman from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant grows wild all over Brooklyn, New york coming up in every crack and crevice,blooming all summer long. They are not perennial here,at least I don't think so. But I've been seeing them in every dooryard garden for as long as I can remember. A very beautiful and loyal plant.

On Nov 29, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

A species petunia with a lax sprawing habit, spreading outward rather than upward. Flowers are only 2-inches wide and cover the plants all summer long. It's an excellent choice for the front of the border or spilling over the edge of a container. P.violacea is a parent to many of the hybrids on the market today.