Tomato 'Sugar Snack'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sugar Snack

Long Beach, California

Urbandale, Iowa

Erie, Pennsylvania

On Jan 12, 2015, Tfal from Erie, PA wrote:

I have grown "Sugar Snack" for about the last 6 to 8 years. I have not found a better cherry tomato. I have even seen them at the grocery store.

Does anyone know why they are no longer available?

On Mar 13, 2014, robbdogr from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Out of all the red cherry tomatoes I have tried over the last two decades, this has been the family favorite, especially with the kids. I grew it two years in a row and was very happy with the results. It doesn't crack, the tomatoes were small enough for the little ones, super sweet and flavorful with just a hint of acid for the grown ups to enjoy. It is a nematode resistant tomato too! I wish Burpee was still producing it, but in recent years it has been so hard to find, and Burpee is has had it listed as out of stock for a long time. I won't buy it from e bay or other shady places since it is a hybrid, and won't come true to type from just harvesting the seed from existing sugar snack tomatoes. I highly recommend this variety.

On Sep 29, 2012, CalgaryGardener from Calgary, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

2014, grew out F2 and the fruit tastes the same. ripens red with very thick skin.

2012, nice consistent fruit, sweet as stated. on par with sweetie and sweet 100. my plants averaged 8ft in height and large clusters of fruit.

On Mar 3, 2010, tequilasheila from Vancouver, B.C.

My neighbour planted a Sugar Snack in 2009 in a container on her ground floor patio and she had so many that she shared with me and the vines were like Medusa, spreading about 20 ft everywhere they went from her patio over to mine, very strange, almost looked like arms reaching out trying to grab us!! Fantastic flavoured tomatoes!! So many, could not keep up eating them all!!! This season, being that I container garden, I was thinking that I might try growing some up over an arbour or trellis of some sort.

On Jul 25, 2009, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

'Sugar Snack' is growing alongside 'Sun Gold' (SG) here in my Corte Madera garden. The plant is as vigorous and prolific as SG. The fruit is sweet and delicious!

On Dec 11, 2008, toughgardengeek from Bethpage, NY wrote:

I grew this one from a gift packet. Yes, it was very sweet and tasty with less cracking then other cherries. But the size was the smallest cherry I have grown, majority of the fruit about the size of a large blueberry. So a bit tedious to pick. Plants were vigorous but vines did not grow as large as sungold.

On Sep 9, 2008, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

We grew six Sugar Snack plants in the summer of 2008. They were easy to grow and produced profuse amounts of tomatoes. They had a very pleasant flavour and I hardly saw any split fruit. A definite winner in our garden!

On Oct 15, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote: