Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Orange Russian 117'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Orange Russian 117

Carmel, Indiana

Brewster, New York

Arlington, Virginia

On Aug 17, 2013, LilyToes from Ouray, CO (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have to agree with every one about the flavor of this tomato. I've only had one ripen so far as it appears to be a late producer, needing time to really mature into a large plant before the blossoms start producing. I have experienced quite of bit of blossom rot in the beginning of the season. Now all the blossoms at the top of the plant are putting out dozens of tomatoes, and quickly too!

Back to the flavor, the one was extremely meaty with just the right amount of juice, not too much. It literally tasted like a mix of peaches/pineapples balanced with sourness/sweetness so perfectly you had to close your eyes in pleasure. Almost like drinking a good German Riesling wine!
I don't think I would ever want to have this any other way but raw. Will be planting this spe... read more

On Feb 10, 2011, Treadwell from Westport, CT wrote:

Far and away the most unique tasting tomato I have tried. Big, rich and amazingly balanced tomato flavor with peach & pineapple & citrus fruit flavors. The streaky orange/yellow/red color is also really nice and looks great on a plate or in a salad.
Both my plants produced lots of 8 - 12 oz. tomatoes from late July (80 days after planting) right up to frost during the very warm Northeast-coastal summer 2010. The plants have the wispy curly thin leaves common to most of the Russian tomatoes I have grown so they look somewhat fragile but are actually very sturdy.
Not a traditional tasting tomato but if you want to try something different I would highly recommend OR 117.

On Aug 15, 2010, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I was very happy with Orange Russian 117! The tomatoes are large, pretty, tasty, and abundant. They are absolutely gorgeous when sliced with yellow, orange, and red swirls in each slice. The flavor is sweet and fruity, and the texture is dense and meaty with just enough juice. The plant is large and sprawling, and starts producing a big crop late season. I would definitely recommend OR117.

On Feb 28, 2009, fiveweight from Carmel, IN wrote:

One of five heirlooms I grew in large pots last season, first time growing tomatoes. It grew literally out of control, 8 feet from the pot to the tips of the vines and that's with allowing 3 or 4 branches each that long. In a cool growing season where nothing produced very well by anyone I knew, it yeilded more weight in two plants than my other ten plants combined by far. By late fall they were going nuts, blossoms everywhere and I picked 80 pounds of green tomatoes from the vine the day before frost from just those two plants. They didn't crack or rot at all, the only thing was the plants attracted bugs. Aphids like crazy - more than my other tomatoes did, spray with lots of neem oil.

I probably should have thinned them out a bit because they didn't have much flavor, but t... read more

On Jul 27, 2007, toriastar from Arlington, VA wrote:

We taste-tested this along side a Marianna's Peace tomato, and preferred the Orange Russian 117. It is fruity and sweet with hints of peach. I usually prefer complex black tomatoes, or tangy green, but I will probably grow this one again, it being hardy (so far), tasty and pretty.

On Oct 16, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 85 day 8 ounce bi-color oxheart.