Salvia, Gentian Sage 'Blue Angel'

Salvia patens

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: patens (PAT-ens) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Angel

Leesburg, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

Vashon, Washington

On Apr 12, 2013, cullengeddes from Friendship, ME wrote:

I have grown this for several years in midcoast Maine, from seed, have bought seed from Fedco and Swallowtail, easy and the most perfect blue great for bouquets, a must have in my cutting garden

On Jun 18, 2012, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised with these plants. I grew them from seed which are very easy to germinate. It has Large blue flowers...larger then most Salvias and it proved to be hardy zone 6b. The tubers survived the winter and the pant emerged again. I even dug tubers up to move them to different locations. When I saw that they had came back up.

On Jan 17, 2010, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I have grown this plant in both Southern California and Maine. In SoCal I treat it as a woody perennial and cut the stems to the ground in winter. Although this plant is often advertised in seed catalogs as an annual, it's actually a tuberous perennial. In Maine, I would dig the tubers in the fall and store them with the dahlia tubers, and replant in the spring. The resulting plants were much bigger than seed-started plants. Salvia patens seems to like rich, moist, soil; sun or part sun; and cool nights. Given these conditions, they should bloom all summer. A beautiful cobalt blue.

On Sep 21, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This sage started out great in my garden, but as summer wore on it had fewer and fewer flowers, and the foliage was not attractive long term like most of the other salvia I grow. They were cut way back or removed mid-July. Very pretty flowers though - (and I do love blue flowers!!), and a very pretty plant until the heat of mid summer.....Maybe Fall will bring a second round of beauty and flowers, we shall see.......

On Aug 11, 2006, lindanat from Asbury Park, NJ wrote:

I love the color and the shape of the flowers; They looked great throughout the spring.

BUT the plants really had a hard time in all-day sun once it got hot and humid. The leaves and flowers tended to fade and the flowers became more sparse, in spite of my best pruning efforts. I ended up yanking all of them out of my garden at the beginning of July.

On Oct 17, 2005, lisamr from Roseville, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of my favorite salvia's because of the color of the flowers which are blue and have been described as 'true blue'. The flowers are also quite large for a salvia/sage. The leaves are shaped like arrowheads and are a bit fuzzy, I wouldn't describe them as velvety though. The hummingbirds here love this salvia/sage.