PlantFiles: Variegated Purple Velvet Plant, Purple Passion Vine
Gynura sarmentosa 'Variegata'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gynura (jy-NYOOR-uh) (Info)
Species: sarmentosa (sar-men-TOH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Orange

Variegated
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From leaf cuttings

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #1 of Gynura sarmentosa by kniphofia

Positive kcviolet On Apr 5, 2010, kcviolet from Kansas City, MO wrote:

A lady at work gave me a piece of this. I rooted it in water, then put it in a terra cotta (unglazed) pot. Hers was leggy, so everytime it grew a 'leg', I nipped it off at a joint and rooted it. The first two I stuck in rooting hormone and just stuck it in the same pot. I have a great bushy plant(s) now. So many people wanted a piece that I am selling them for the charity drive. From that one plant in one year, I have started at least ten plants. If I have a pot, I stick it in there and if I don't , I put it in water. They like terra cotta and bottom watering. They like a lot of water, so every day, I check and if their saucer is empty, I give it more. Once a month I give them some highly diluted miracle gro. I love this plant. None have flowered, maybe because I pinch them back. Now I am the lady with pots & dirt in her cubicle. I have spider plants & pothos, too. The more I sell, the cleaner the air is in the office! I love this plant.