Sweet Annie, Sweet Sagewort, Annual Wormwood, Huang Hua Hao
Artemisia annua

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Artemisia (ar-te-MIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: annua (AN-yoo-uh) (Info)

Herbs

Not Applicable

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Inconspicuous/none

Blue-Green

Aromatic

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Seward, Alaska

Stanwood, Washington

Cody, Wyoming

negative

On May 22, 2015, alexgr1 from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Experiments were conducted on the farm of Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, during the 2012 hot season and 2013 cold season to determine the most effective treatment for rapid germination of Artemisia annua by subjecting the seeds to physical treatment by soaking in cold and warm water for 2, 4 & 6 hours and 1, 2 & 3 minutes, chemical treatment by soaking in 10%, 20% & 30% Sulphuric Acid (H2SO4) for 1, 2 & 3 minutes respectively and hormone treatment (GA3) by soaking in 100 pp, 200 pp, 300 pp & 500 pp for 6, 12 & 24 hours.
Results of Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) indicated no significant difference between the seasons with respect to germination, shoot and root lengths (p>0.05). However, warm water treatment at
60C for 2 minutes duri... read more

On Apr 9, 2015, alderdeals from Lancaster, NH wrote:

Sweet Annie appears to be wonderful fall forage for honey bees and other small beneficial insects. This alone has earned it a spot in my garden.

On Apr 11, 2013, drawings12 from Saratoga Springs, NY wrote:

I have never seen this plant. I heard a story on the radio about it, and it is used in making drugs to treat malaria. There is a worldwide shortage of it and it is extremely valuable to drug companies who have been paying 110-550 dollars/lb. for it (dried?) They are trying to figure out how to manufacture artemisinin synthetically in labs. I was thinking maybe someone could figure out how to supply it to drug companies. I don't know where they might be, but most malaria cases are in Africa and other equatorial countries. Please read this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_wormwood

On May 2, 2010, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

A thoroughly lovely plant. Smells heavenly. Self-sows wherever it likes, but easy to pull out (and what a treat to release the fragrance). Thin asparagus-ferny fall plant that blends well with others. What's not to like about it?

On Sep 6, 2009, ladygardener1 from Near Lake Erie, NW, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

If you are into fragrant plants this one is a must have. The down side is it will reseed everywhere. So if you are a neat flowerbed gardener and hate to weed this one is not for you.
However it is not that hard to pull out and thin in the spring and the smell makes the job easier.

On Sep 18, 2008, mainenewbie from Bangor, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

A friend of mine gave me some Sweet Annie to dry in my kitchen. It smelled so wonderful and interestingly, the scent changed over time as it dried. I loved it so much she gave me some seedlings which I planted in a fairly shady bed with hostas, pachysandra, and heuchera. They really took to the spot as she said they would. Anyway, I love it and frankly if it takes over my yard the smell is worth it. Talk to me in five years though!

On Apr 16, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Sweet Annie is an annual with finely cut, highly aromatic green foliage and reaches 4'-6' tall in one season! Also known as 'Sweet Wormwood', this heirloom plant is a must for anyone who loves to make wreaths, potpurri, or herbal crafts. the pleasantly scented foliage also makes a nice floral filler in vases where it is often substituted for Baby's Breath. It produces insignificant chartreuse flowers in late summer to fall which should be removed if reseeding is not desirable.
This plant grows best in full sun and is attractive to bees, butterflies, and birds.

On Mar 21, 2008, Mrs_Ed from Whiteside County, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is also beautiful in containers, but do remember to trim it before the flowers seed.

Otherwise, we like to grow this in an area where we can mow and keep it in check. The smell then is GREAT.

On Jul 28, 2007, Joemnk from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I bought Sweet Annie from a local garden club sale because it was reported to repel deer who have become a big problem in our suburban Pittsburgh PA community. Joemnk

On Sep 8, 2005, winterberry from Liberty, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

Sweet Annie self-sows and grows abundantly in my garden. As a floral designer, I love to cut it and use it in dried wreaths, tabletop Christmas trees, etc. every year. I also love its scent and use it incorporated in bows to tie on Christmas presents or other small gifts (like bars of soap). Even though it is very invasive, I can generally use all of it, so it's worth putting up with its height and the fact that it, along with tansy, have pretty much taken over one of my gardens.

On Apr 20, 2005, hotnhumid from Searcy, AR (Zone 7a) wrote:

Yes, this plant reseeds itself profusely; it is not pretty; but the scent is wonderful. I first got this plant from a coworker in Indiana, brought it to Arkansas, and it has never failed to come back. I always keep at least one plant in my garden. We hang some in our house every fall and enjoy the scent every time we walk by.

On Aug 16, 2003, Meandy from Tipton, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love the fragrance of this plant! It is an annual for me and has never reseeded though I wouldn't mind a few new seedings to sprout each year.

On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have Sweet Annie growing under a maple tree. The harsh conditions keep it in check! A few self-seeded volunteers come up, but not bad. It's a wonderfully aromatic plant to use dried in wreathes, etc., though it doesn't add much to the garden scene in my opinion.

On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Do yourself a favor and don't allow Sweet Annie to go to seed in your garden! I learned the hard way and have been pulling out seedlings for years.