Nosegay, Frangipani, Plumeria
Plumeria rubra

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plumeria (ploo-MEER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: rubra (ROO-bruh) (Info)
Synonym:Plumeria acuminata
» View all varieties of Plumeria

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Pale Pink

Pale Yellow

Brown/Bronze

From hardwood cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Burbank, California

Carlsbad, California

Fullerton, California

Indio, California

Laguna Niguel, California

Lemoore, California

Los Angeles, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Tustin, California

Yorba Linda, California

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida

Cape Canaveral, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida (2 reports)

Clewiston, Florida

Seminole, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Umatilla, Florida

Venice, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Valley, Georgia

San Marcos, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Wimberley, Texas

On Feb 2, 2010, YLgardenman from Oroville, CA wrote:

I got my first cutting from my wives co-worker. Since then I have bought plants and received additional cuttings. Here in Southern California (zone 10) I am fortunate enough to be able to plant these in the ground. The average bush in my garden is about 7 feet tall.

I avoid watering in the winter unless it is unusually hot and dry. In the summer I water frequently to keep soil from drying. This plant will tolerate drought better than over-watering, but grows faster with more water and fertilizer when weather is hot. My plants usually start blooming in April or May and continue thru November or December. By January leaves begin dropping. Then new leaves start in march or April. This plant is very tolerant of varied conditions, in my experience "wet feet" or over watering is ... read more

On Feb 1, 2010, tulpen from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I purchased this plant 8 yrs. ago, it had plenty of sun (LA area) throughout the year and well drained soil. Unfortunately, it never thrived - hardly bloomed but plenty of leaves. Last year I decided to replant it to another location - pretty much the same results. The only interesting aspect was - after one of the neighborhood kids accidentally broke off a 2 ft. branch, after a few days I simply stuck it in the new planting compost and to my amazement it grew! Love this plant but it's not happy with me!

On Feb 1, 2010, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

ZONE 8B, HEAT ZONE 9 SAM RAYBURN LAKE AREA, DEEP EAST, TX
PHEW, I'VE KEPT THIS PLANT BY CUTTINGS FOR 15 YRS. BUT HAVE YET TO GET A BLOOM! : ( I PLAN TO KEEP TRYING! : )

On Feb 1, 2010, junglegringo from San Jose Tzal [south of Merida]
Mexico (Zone 11) wrote:

Plumeria is a common sight here in Yucatan. I have several of these lovely shrubs growing here at my ranchito.
The Spanish name here is Flor de Mayo and in Maya is Nicte. The shrub was held sacred by the ancient maya, and the Plumeria rubra and the Plumeria acutifolia ....red and white Plumeria were symbols for the sun and the moon for the maya xmem [priests].

The juice is often used as a treatment for wounds and the extract used in the treatment of skin and venereal diseases.

The sap is said to produce a good quality of rubber.

I have planted a 7 foot branch which fell during a hurricane and it rooted successfully.

On Feb 1, 2010, GrandmaMary from Smith's Parish
Bermuda wrote:

I did not know the real name for franjipani was plumeria! It grows well in Bermuda, where the soil has very little clay and drains well.. However it is quite alkaline soil, so I was surprised to read that it preferred acidic. If I get another one - the gardeners put the strimmer too close to mine and killed it :( - I will use Miracid or similar product to feed it now that I know. I also did not know you could grow them in a pot, as I think of it as a tree. The original one that ours came from was a large spreading tree..

On Aug 12, 2008, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Last year, I took my Plumeria out of their pots and planted them in the ground. I provided winter protection by building a wood frame around them and covering the frame with 8 mil translucent plastic. Winter temperatures got down as low as about 28 F on a few nights this past winter in my Zone 8b garden. I didn't use any additional heat in the enclosure. The Plumeria did great and bloomed better than ever this spring.

Jeremy

On Dec 8, 2005, Clare_CA from (Zone 10b) wrote:

The following excerpt was taken from the following publication:
Plumeria in Hawaii

By Richard A. Criley
Department of Plant and Soil Sciences
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
University of Hawaii at Manoa
January, 2005

Plumeria and Its Culture

Plumeria is known by other common names, including frangipani, melia (Hawaiian), and temple tree, and has many named cultivars. It is native to tropical America. In Hawaii, plumeria is grown as an ornamental and is not found in the wild. It has widespread use in tropical landscapes around the world and is frequently associated with temples and graveyards.

Characteristics

Plumeria is generally a small ... read more

On Aug 10, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have five of them with four pictured here. All are from cuttings taken at Key West. They are easy to care for, look great and the fragrance will make you smile. The flowers are bright, vibrant and vary from year to year.
My only problem with them is they don't like the wind much. I have a yard with a constant Easterly breeze most of the year. My plants are always a month or two behind the rest of the neighborhood where other plants get shelter from the wind. My plants bloom for a shorter time than the sheltered plants in the neighborhood. I have seen plants in this neighborhood bloom all year round.

On Jun 28, 2004, jimnesie from Anaheim, CA wrote:

This plant is very hardy in Southern California. I have fellow growers in Las Vegas who have success by wintering the plants. I have several plants that are over 25 feet tall. I have about 100 1st year seedlings growing now.

I find that they as much sunlight as you can give them (at least 6-8 hours per day), I use a high phos fertilizer during the summer and water constantly in the summer. In the winter, I do not water or feed them at all.

Cuttings will root nicely if they are allowed to hardened (about two weeks) and then I put them in a mix of mulch, sponge rock, and vermiculite. They will root in two months. You can tell when a cutting is rooting by seeing full sized leaves forming. Cuttings will sometimes bloom without leaves and this usually in... read more

On Feb 15, 2004, rwadleigh wrote:

Red scale on the under side of the leaves of my Plumeria causes them to turn yellow and drop off leaving the plant completely void of leaves. The flowers remain. I have tried Manicure (by Lesco), systemic and oil sprays but nothing will control it. I have seen one tree leafless and another not far away with no red scale!

On Jan 18, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I didn´t notice how good it smells until last spring. I also noticed that the smell kinda fades away around noon, coming back strongly on late afternoons.

On Aug 29, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I lived in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b, for 10 years, and my neighbor and dear friend, who had once owned a plant nursery, introduced me to plumeria. She has a white variety growing up against a North fence, with the plant getting almost full afternoon Southwest sun, and lots of reflection from her concrete swimming pool deck. Every year this plant gets to be about 10 feet tall--the only shade it gets is from the house in the mornings and some nearby Dwarf Brazilian bananas in the afternoons. This plant perfumes her whole pool patio. Unfortunately, St. Pete is now in the urban heat island of the Tampa Bay area, and there are often water restrictions, but this plant always survives such episodes. If possible, it is generously watered.

Late one summer she was trimmin... read more

On Aug 28, 2003, noway wrote:

I am having an awful time with spider mites on my plumeria and I just can't seem to get rid of them. I am thinking I may have to throw out the plant before it infects everything else but I really like it and would rather find something effective to get rid of these pests!

On Jul 5, 2003, flafrangipani from Kathleen, FL wrote:

I fell in love with Plumerias in Key West (Florida) several years ago. I bought my first rooted named hybrid cuttings this year ('Candy Stripe' and 'Pua Kahea'.) They are very easy to care for.

They become dormant in winter and must be moved into a cool, dry, dark area and protected from freezing temps. Stop fertilizing in October, as the plant begins to go into its dormant state. They may be stored by taking plants out of pots,shaking the soil off and removing any remaining leaves. Bring them out in spring, trim some of the dried roots, repot, fertilize and water and they are ready to start growing and blooming again.

I have many seedlings I have grown. (I am now addicted, and cannot get enough seeds, LOL.) Plumeria seeds germinate well if placed in a ... read more

On Jan 21, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

This is a specimen known for flagrant, beautiful flowers. They need full sun and can grow on a wide range of well drained soils; if cold or prolonged dry periods it will lost all the leaves. A very showy bloom that can be white, red, pink or yellow, depending on the cultivar. The stem is succulent, green to grey. Propagation is by cuttings allowed to dry several days.

On Oct 17, 2002, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Frangipani is a common name for Plumeria rubra, which is the red-flowered plumeria [see the first picture I posted].

I have no idea what the species [or cultivar] names are for the enormous variety of non-red flowering Plumeria, but most will not be P. rubra.

On Aug 13, 2002, meiyu from san antonio, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of my absolute favorite plants - one of those "can't kill", fragrant, flowering plants that make me look like I'm an experienced gardener when I had absolutely no idea how it came to be!

My neighbor dropped off 4 bare stalks of this plant, as a house-warming gift to bring to my new garden - she claimed they were cuttings, but they looked like ugly greenish sticks that were almost dead to me. She told me to just stick them in some water, or even right into some dirt, until I could plant them at my new home. All she knew was that it was some kind of plant her mother got in Hawaii.

It was October or November when she gave them to me, and I didn't have anywhere to plant these long, ugly stubs until I finally built my first raised flower bed around the end o... read more

On Aug 25, 2001, BotanyBob from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

In Southern California this is actually one of the more drought tolerant plants, growing well in cactus gardens. However, the plant grows faster, and blooms better, the more water it gets (as long as it's warm and well draining soil). In winters here, this plant rots very easily, and in many areas it will not survive the winter. In most but the warmest areas it will at least mostly defoliate and cease blooming.

Though in So Cal it can sometimes grow into a small tree or large shrub, in tropical areas, like Hawaii, it grows into massive avenue trees. However, even in Hawaii, it has a 'defoliation season' (winter) and loses most of its blooms. The Singapore version (possibly a different species) is evergreen, and has smaller, shinier leaves, but only comes in yell... read more

On Aug 18, 2001, farmgirl21 from Hempstead, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very easy to grow from cuttting, they like moist, well-drained slightly acidic soil. Super bloom every other week.

If planted in a pot or large tub, Plumeria can grow in any zone. To store in winter, keep it from freezing by removing it from its pot and wrapping in newspaper, or leave in pot, but water very little or not at all. You can also try to keep it growing in greenhouse.