Mottled Tuberose, Texas Tuberose

Manfreda variegata

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Manfreda (MAN-fred-ah) (Info)
Species: variegata (var-ee-GAY-tuh) (Info)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Tucson, Arizona

Blue Diamond, Nevada

Mount Juliet, Tennessee

Dripping Springs, Texas

Pearland, Texas

On Jan 28, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- My plants appear to be Manfreda variegata, but a seemingly identical plant at the Desert Botanical Garden is labeled M. virginica. Whichever it is, this plant is an almost too enthusiastic spreader in my succulent beds. It puts up multiple pups, often up to a foot away from the parent. However, they are relatively easy to remove using a sharp digging bar or knife. This plant needs no winter protection and has weathered many freezing winters in my garden, down to the lower 20s, without damage. The outer leaves die back in winter whether it freezes or not. The flower stalk is over 5 feet tall, with light yellow flowers. This plant tolerates many watering regimes, from every-other-day to once-a-month in summer. It will grow in dense shade (but leaves are elongated, ... read more

On Jun 28, 2014, jmps from Austin, TX wrote:

This plant grows well under oaks, mottled shade and sun in Austin TX. It is a very interesting plant. I am surprised that there is little information around about its flowering habits. The flower scapes that come out in April shoot up to eight feet tall. They are still standing, dried, at the end of June. I have checked with others in Austin who report similarly, flower stalks seven to eight feet tall.

On Nov 19, 2013, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

I love this plant. It is a no care plant under my oak tree in Central Texas. My only complaint is that the deer like it as much as I do. I have not seen a flow yet.

On Feb 15, 2011, azsusieq from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I love this plant. It spred laterally quite quickly. It is frost sensitive and has frozen back completely this cold Tucson winter. Hope the roots are still alive!

On Feb 13, 2009, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. Mottled Tuberose, Texas Tuberose (Manfreda variegata; synonyms: Agave variegata, Manfreda variegata, Manfreda tamazunchalensis, Manfreda xilitlensis, Polianthes variegata, Polianthes variegata, ) is also commonly known as variegated huaco, variegated wild tuberose, amole akayman (Spanish) and rattlesnake master. It is found natively growing only in Texas (endemic: Lower Rio Grande - Cameron County) and Mexico (Nuevo Len, San Luis Potos, Tamaulipas, Veracruz and Yucatn) on dry chaparral or moist locations, on rocky slopes or open/dense oak woods and is widely cultivated in gardens in Texas as well as Mexico and southern Africa.

Its succulent 16 inches long leaf blades resemble that of agaves, taper to a point and are splashed with liver-color... read more

On Dec 20, 2008, gispa30 from Mount Juliet, TN wrote:

This plant grows naturally on our very rocky terrain. The leaves remain close to the ground and are indeed pretty, but the flower stalk will be 5 feet tall. Flowers themselves not very conspicuous.
Very obvious seedpods form and I take it it self sows. Apparently, the flowers become fragrant at night. (need to re-verify that aspect).
The soil is very poor in its natural state and we experience drought conditions in summer so it should be a good subject for xeriscaping. I am a plant nut and try to maintain the rather unusual plants that grow on our terrain which goes by the name of a glade.