PlantFiles: Bluebeard
Caryopteris odorata

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caryopteris (kar-ee-OP-ter-iss) (Info)
Species: odorata (oh-dor-AY-tuh) (Info)

Pale Pink

By ecrane3
Thumbnail #1 of Caryopteris odorata by ecrane3

No positives

Negative cazort On Aug 6, 2014, cazort from Jenkintown, PA wrote:

I had this plant growing when I moved in, in the garden at one of my homes. It is pleasantly aromatic, but I dislike it for several reasons.

For one, it can become somewhat invasive, seedlings coming up both in flower beds, and in cracks against the foundation of my home--not a good thing for a woody plant to come up there.

I also found the plant to be very scraggly looking in spring. It is a late sprouter, and has a somewhat weedy growth habit, with a bunch of small branches extending upwards and others sprawling over. It looked rather unhealthy for several months before it finally got more lush looking. I decided to remove it.

I would not recommend planting this plant in North America, mainly due to its invasive potential.

Castro Valley, California