Appleblossom Grass, Lindheimer's Beeblossom
Gaura lindheimeri 'Passionate Rainbow'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaura (GOW-ra) (Info)
Species: lindheimeri (lind-HY-mer-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Passionate Rainbow
Additional cultivar information:(PP17002, aka Passionate Rainbow)
Hybridized by Eggleton

Whitehall, Pennsylvania

Columbia, South Carolina

Haltom City, Texas

On Jun 24, 2013, StuKin from Stamford, CT wrote:

Beautiful plant, BUT I'm not sure about hardiness. Just bought one to give it a try. The label clearly indicates it's hardy to -20F, but I'm seeing reports that it failed to survive -5F. Apparently, good drainage is absolutely essential and key to survival. That tells me I should save the receipt, label and container so I can return it to Home Depot if it fails. I have a perfect spot in full sun with sandy, fast draining soil, so we'll see what happens.

On Jun 2, 2011, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant failed to thrive the first year and didn't return after winter.

On May 6, 2011, burien_gardener from Burien (SW Seattle), WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Was beautiful last summer, but didn't survive 3 episodes of below 20 degrees, a couple extended snowfalls and extra rain this winter. Seattle-Puget Sound Z8b

On Sep 15, 2009, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant caught my eye in a local Lowes early this spring. Over the summer, it had relatively sparse blooms and I was surprised to see it come into full bloom in mid-September. Even the foliage seems to have taken on a deeper red color. The tag listed it as zone 5 but I will heed the comments and heavily protect it for the winter. I'll let you know whether it sucessfully over-winters in central Ohio.

On Apr 25, 2008, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Beautiful cultivar with pink/red, green, and white tinged leaves. As with all Gaura, it blooms profusely and has self-cleaning flowers. I wouldn't be without Gaura in my garden for its airy, delicate beauty and long bloom time.

Unfortunately, this did not winter over in Zone 6a either. (The 'Pink Cloud' Gaura that was planted next to it did) . Luckily I collected seeds last year so I can enjoy this beauty again this year. This year I will try mulching it over winter as is suggested with Gaura in Zone 6.

Seed collecting is easy. The seeds form attached to the stems where the flowers were but they fall off easily so be gentle when collecting. The seeds look very similar in size and shape to Caraway seeds.

On Mar 11, 2008, Susi_So_Callif from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted 3 of these last year (2007) and they did well - one of them, the one with the sharpest drainage, was outstanding. This year I added 3 more in another area with very sharp drainage, and I expect great things from them. For me they have proven to be very low-water plants which weren't bothered by pests, heat or neglect.

On Jun 27, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted it in a sunny spot and watered it right, but it didn't survive the winter. Too bad: it's a beauty.