Japanese Spurge, Pachysandra

Pachysandra terminalis

Family: Buxaceae
Genus: Pachysandra (pak-ih-SAN-druh) (Info)
Species: terminalis (term-in-AL-iss) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Montgomery, Alabama

Plainwell, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan

Lake George, Minnesota

Saint Joseph, Missouri

Saint Louis, Missouri (2 reports)

Englewood, New Jersey

Olympia, Washington

Muscoda, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

On Aug 5, 2014, cazort from Jenkintown, PA wrote:

Aggressive, hard to remove, shuts out other plants. Not good for the local ecology. Can persist for years in abandoned gardens, and spread into adjacent wild areas.

I have had this in several gardens where I have gardened...and I hate it. It is one of the first plants I try to remove, and removing it is hard work. It resprouts from a network of underground roots, and takes repeated work to get rid of it.

There are many better ground covers. There is a native pachysandra, Allegheny spurge, but I actually prefer a number of other plants, especially white wood aster, as a replacement.

On May 13, 2012, rickc304 from Niles, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is a cold hardy, evergreen, groundcover which bears very fragrant, small white flowers in early spring.

On Mar 11, 2011, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

My Mother and Grandmother grew Pachysandras groundcover in my childhood home in the catskill mtns near Kingston NY, along with Periwinkles which i think were vinca bowles variety but im not sure.anyway what im getting at, is that Pachysandras are not only a really cool, neat groundcover, but a wonderful memory for me..peace..mike.

On Apr 7, 2010, diamonddi from hollister, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant has provided our landscape with beautiful erosion control year round. It grows beautifully in the sun and in the deep shade, for me. However, I do give it plenty of water in the summer. It is easily pulled up (roots and all) if you find it growing out of bounds.

On Jan 16, 2006, raywestmi from Holland, MI wrote:

It is a good ground cover, but it is taking over my garden and moving into my lawn. It sends shoots over 3 ft into my grass, and it makes a dense root mass up to 24" into the ground. It is overgrowing many other plants in my garden. It is January 16, and it is the only thing green with leaves.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a fair enough groundcover, but a bit common and plain for me to want more than a small area of it. In my garden it blooms in April, but they are rather insignificant blooms. My information says it is hardy in zones 3-9.

On Jul 12, 2004, zorba from Lake George, MN (Zone 3a) wrote:

I've had this plant in my yard for over ten years and it has done extremely well. One of the first to bloom in spring and a vibrant green through out the summer. It has spread slowly, but has made a solid carpet and looks great. All this in Zone 3a.

On Apr 8, 2004, Michael_PS from Cleveland, OH wrote:

I agree with the others - pachysandra is maintenance-free. It survives winter, dog's walking over it, and just about anything. And it grows good and looks great! The photo on this site looks like it came from my back yard!

On Sep 15, 2003, Bricca from Sugar Grove, NC wrote:

This is a great groundcover - attractive year-round. Tolerates traffic from our five dogs, and allows perennials to poke up through it very well. Has a very natural, native woods look. Looks great without any care at all.

On Apr 2, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Potentially invasive if grown in loose fertile soil. Otherwise is very well-behaved, and even tolerates some amount of foot-traffic.

A late freeze will prevent its blooming, otherwise completely carefree groundcover.

On Aug 3, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Excellent groundcover. Stays green all year long and requires very little maintenance.