Dwarf Tree Jasmine, Peep Thong 'Kunming'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Radermachera (rad-er-MOK-er-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Kunming

Safety Harbor, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Deer Park, Texas

On Oct 31, 2012, happy_girl from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Bought this dwarf tree at an online nursery and it is doing very well. I love the little flowers even though the scent is very light. The leaves have a beautiful shape. It's about 3 feet right now.

On May 23, 2012, Haleakala from Houston, TX wrote:

Its a gorgeous plant I found at Lowes in NW Houton (Zone 9). I placed it against a west facing brick wall along with my Confederate Jasmine. The combination of scents is excellent for my retirement/patio home of 55+ with the sidewalk meandering by. My assumption is that during our occasional freezes, I will simply cover it with a sheet and place a light bulb/extension cord near it to help endure a freeze. Queen Palms grow fantastically here, although we had two severe freezes in a row. All the freeze damage has recovered quickly as I assume the dwarf jasmine would do. Will keep you posted on its progress.

On Mar 30, 2012, debkwood from Deer Park, TX wrote:

The reason you cannot grow this plant is because your zone is too cold.....Its a zone 10 plant.Thats why the neg. feedback.

On Nov 21, 2009, Happy7 from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I purchased one of these beautiful trees at the beginning of this year from Jesse Durko's nursery in Davie, Florida. It is such a special plant and naturally makes a lovely sort of spiral form with it's branches. The flowers come in bunches and the perfume is exquisite. Unfotunately I think my tree now has white fly so I am going to use a systemic on it. It has been so trouble free and perfect up until now and I just hope this cures the problem - the leaves are all looking like those of an aluminium plant! I highly recommend this tree if you can avoid this problem. Perhaps it does better bugwise in full sun rather than partial shade.

On Oct 1, 2008, astcgirl from Davidsonville, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I don't know why there is only a negative review on this plant. I for one love it. I have it growing in a pot in half shade and this year it bloomed very well for me. I don't pay it any special treatment, other than watering it with my other plants and throwing on a fertilizer once in a while when I remember. It seems to go through flushes, as soon as one flush has finished a new one appears within a week. Beautiful fragrance, although I need to put my nose right into the plant to smell it, but it is lovely. I have had no problems with disease or bugs and that is a big plus here in Florida where planting anything has it's problems. So a big A+ from me for this plant. I love it.

On Jul 30, 2008, Redlory from Elkhorn, WI wrote:

I have now murdered three dwarf tree jasmines. They are a gorgeous plant, even young and not blooming. They naturally look like a trained bonsai, and the leaves are very attractive. My problem is, they grow well for a year, then one day, I go out to the greenhouse, and the plant is collapsed. The next day it is all yellowed, and the next day, it is dead. It looks like a fungus attack.

This never happens the day after watering, and I have no forewarning. Now, growing it has become an obsession. I have always planted it in a sharply draining tropical mix and watered with collected rain water. Can anyone help? I'm on a waiting list for my next victim. Thanks.