PlantFiles: Pink Cestrum, Red Cestrum, Purple Cestrum
Cestrum elegans 'Smithii'

Genus: Cestrum (SES-trum) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Smithii

Thumbnail #5 of Cestrum elegans by jackiescompost

Thumbnail #6 of Cestrum elegans by jackiescompost

By Chantell
Thumbnail #7 of Cestrum elegans by Chantell

Positive RustyStar On Nov 21, 2010, RustyStar from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Bought plant in a one-gallon pot from a local nursery. Was horribly, horribly root-bound inside pot. Cleaned off all coiled roots, planted, fertilized and it has SOARED! About 6 feet tall by 5 feet wide now. Blooms all year. Planted in part shade/part sun on northwest side of house (California). Doing very well!! :) Rusty

Neutral CGall30198 On Jun 24, 2009, CGall30198 from Alpharetta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought a red cestrum at my local K-Mart and it seems to be suffering allot with it's leaves drooping all the time. I read that the yellow cestrum needs allot of fertilizer and I am guessing that the red cestrum is the same. I am a very avid gardener but I am new to this plant so only time will tell. I haven't seen this plant growing allot here in Georgia either so not many people in my area can help me with this.

Positive jackiescompost On Jul 30, 2007, jackiescompost from Mission Viejo, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought this plant last winter after having very positive experience with the red Cestrum. I was looking for color and blooms with nectar that would feed hummingbirds during the winter months. Cestrum will definitely do that in my 10a area.

I found this Smithii loaded with blooms and brought it home. Then I discovered it was severely root bound to the point it required watering every day even in the winter. It was so beautiful and I hadn't seen this color before that I didn't want to return it to the nursery. So I removed it from it's pot, hosed down the root ball and cut into the root to break it open and remove some of the tangled and compacted mess. I cut back much of the plant and repot it in a larger pot. It bounced back immediately with new growth and is cheerfully coloring my yard and feeding the hummers. It is hardy, easy to care for, no bug problems so far in my area. I have noted that full sun will cause the pinkish salmon colored flowers to fade. The color is best in partial sun. I have pets in the yard and, because this plant is poisonous, I collect the berries and any dropped foliage or flowers so my pets will not come into contact with whatever falls on the ground. The Smithii will probably be moved to my courtyard where my pets rarely go since they prefer chasing imaginary critters in the back yard.

Alameda, California