We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles: Texas Spiderwort
Tradescantia humilis

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: humilis (HEW-mil-is) (Info)

Positive pc6 On May 4, 2013, pc6 from Durham, NC wrote:

I visited a friend in Wichita Falls, TX in early April 2013. It was 89 degrees while I was there, and my friend was complaining of drought. I noticed these odd little plants in her sun baked cow pasture that looked...like 2 inch tall day lilies. I dug a few up, threw them in my suitcase and brought them home.
They are in a planter on the patio that gets bright, but indirect sun all day long. The plants have shot up to a foot high, and look much more grass-like than lily-like.
The flowers are the clincher. They are blue, with three leaves, obviously Tradescantias. Whether they are truly T. humilis, I don't know.
I'll try to observe them over the summer and see how they do, maybe take a few pictures as well.

Durham, North Carolina