PlantFiles: Bog Sage
Salvia uliginosa

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: uliginosa (ew-li-gi-NO-suh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Salvias

Light Blue

Aromatic

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Thumbnail #1 of Salvia uliginosa by Gerris2

Thumbnail #5 of Salvia uliginosa by htop

Thumbnail #6 of Salvia uliginosa by Gerris2

Thumbnail #7 of Salvia uliginosa by Gerris2

Positive ClimbTheMtns On Jul 4, 2012, ClimbTheMtns from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

Gold Finches love the seeds and tend to bend the four plus foot branches over, so you might stake or tie some twine around a larger plant.

First year gave us a two foot or so circumference. Second year we now have up to five feet.

A pollinator"s dream plant!

I dug up many new plants in the Spring to plant elsewhere around the yard & to give to friends.

Neutral rcn48 On Jun 29, 2005, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

We've had this plant in our gardens for 3-4 yrs. I agree it is "enthusiastic"! More what I'd call aggressive, having pulled out tons of it in the past few years so it wouldn't take over a whole corner of the garden. It is beautiful when flowering, so I don't want to discard it completely and the good news is that it is easy enough to just pull up the edges to keep it within bounds of where I want it to grow.

Positive pokerboy On Mar 5, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I LOVE all parts about this plant. It's flower, it's growing habit. Absolutely EVERYTHING about it. Bog sage (Salvia Uliginosa) does well in both wet and dry conditions despite its name. I makes a wonderfull background to a perennial or groundcover garden bed. It spreads quickly but can be easily removed if it becomes to vigorous. Bog sage has a Beautiful, soft pastel blue flower with a white throat. This plant deserves a place in EVERY garden. Bog sage is also a popular choice for Romantic Cottage gardens. pokerboy.

Positive hanna1 On Jan 11, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Native to Brasil and Argentina. From the Mamiaceae-Mint Family. Sun in cooler areas and part shade in the warmer regions. Medicinal/ culinary uses. Prefers rich soil, Attracts Butterflies. Deadheading will give longer flower time. Plant is enthusiastic, not really aggresive, can be controlled. Easily divide rootstock, cut back to ground in colder areas. Spreads by underground Slolons/ runners. Will tolerate poorly drained soil. Can also be grown in Plastic container in the ground.
flowers are Azure with white throats. Leaves are yellow/green and lancelike

Positive angelam On Apr 13, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I bought this plant last Spring, in a plant tube, and it already covers several square feet.We are Zone 10.It is really rampant, and really beautiful. I had hundreds of flower stalks, that lasted months and were permanently full of bees.

I put it in what I thought was the wettest part of the garden, which may have helped getting it started, but we had a drought in the Summer and it got a bucket full of water only when it wilted.It bounced back every time. Its flower stalks needed no support despite being 5ft or more high.

I dug some pieces up to replant elsewhere. They looked really healthy and full of buds despite the dry, and are racing away in their turn.

Positive WB6MYL On Mar 17, 2004, WB6MYL from Cerritos, CA wrote:

WHAT A WONDERFUL PLANT AND PLEASE NOTE IT IS ALIVE AND WELL IN SO. CALIFORNIA; IF ONE KNEW HOW THIS LOOKED IN FULL BLOOM, THESE WOULD FLY OFF THE NURSERY SHELF (OR GROUND), BUT, ALAS, IT LOOKS LIKE A MERE WEED IN THAT 1 GALLON CAN (THE CURSE OF MANY/MOST SALVIAS). I BOUGHT THIS FOR WHATEVER REASON THREE YEARS AGO AND IT HAS PROVIDED A BEAUTIFUL BACKDROP TO PART OF MY GARDEN; I NOTICED IT GETS TO ABOUT FIVE FEET HIGH BUT I HAVE NOT NOTICED IT WAS AS INVASIVE AS INDICATED FROM THE DESCRIPTION AND DOES VERY WELL ALSO IN DRY SOIL. NONETHELESS, SOMEHOW AFTER THREE YEARS, I CUT THIS BACK TOO MUCH, BUT THE PLANT DID NOT COME BACK THIS SPRING; FORTUNATE TO FIND TWO MORE THAT I PLANTED TODAY. PARENTHETICALLY, SALVIAS ARE UNDER-APPRECIATED FOR THE VARIETY, BEAUTY, AND LITTLE CARE THIS GROUP HAS TO OFFER. KEEP THOSE HANDS DIRTY!!

Positive Karenn On Oct 8, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted this sage last year, assuming it was an annual in my zone 5 garden. I was given the information it was hardy only to zone 7. This year, much to my delight, I had the opportunity to purchase another bog sage, which I promptly did. I planted it in approximately the same area as last year, in an area that has standing water in spring. Just last week, as I was weeding this area, I discovered that my "this year" bog sage was so large because the one from last year had returned! What a delightful surprise. We had a very "ugly" winter last year, no snow cover & a deeper than usual freeze depth, so I am doubly surprised! I cannot wait until next year to see if these beautiful plants return once again!

Neutral dtrosenoff On May 28, 2003, dtrosenoff from Issaquah, WA wrote:

I grow this plant in the Cascade foothills south of Issaquah, Washington (near Seattle). Planted in a container on our south facing deck in afternoon sun, our Ulignosa grows about 3 or 4 feet tall by September with pale blue flowers. It has lax stems and needs to be supported to grow upright. It is quite aromatic but the smell is not overly pleasant. Care-wise, I trim this back to the wood (6-8 inches in November) and then trim off the wood to the ground in May. It survived a couple of late spring 20 degree cold snaps this last winter. Otherwise, I kept it outside under the eaves of the house to avoid the worst of the rains and snows; it came through very well. New plants come up from the ground off of root stock. See Betsy Clebsh's Salvia book for lots more details on habit, propagation, and the rest.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Cornwall Bridge, Connecticut
Wilmington, Delaware
Deland, Florida
Lithia, Florida
Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)
Cordele, Georgia
Waxahachie, Texas
Lexington, Virginia
Anacortes, Washington
Issaquah, Washington
Seattle, Washington (2 reports)