Hops
Humulus lupulus 'Aureus'

Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus (HUM-uh-lus) (Info)
Species: lupulus (lup-OO-lus) (Info)
Cultivar: Aureus

Silver Spring, Maryland

Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)

Billings, Montana

Port Angeles, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Merrimac, Wisconsin

On May 4, 2010, Jay3fer from Toronto

Gorgeous and very hardy. Put it in a moist spot and it will grow wild, not only growing FAST in the spring but sending up lots of suckers. It's not a bully, though; the suckers are unobtrusive and easy enough to dig out (though pulling up the interconnected roots may cause trouble for other plants in the vicinity). Replant the suckers elsewhere, give them away, or just let them grow where they are to fill in your trellis that must quicker. The colour seems to almost glow; it is definitely a lovely bright spot in the garden. Dies back completely to the ground here (Toronto, Ontario), but it is one of the first to bounce back each spring!

On Apr 13, 2010, amuscledskier from Sagle, ID wrote:

Golden Hops 'Aureus' is a wonderful garden plant here in the Sandoint N. Idaho area (z 5a-6b). It grows here 6+ inches a day in May and June, easily. What no one posting comments here has said is how BEAUTIFUL the burgundy stems contrast the bright chartreuse leaves!

What boggles me is that the plant is considered dioeceous (imperfect plants), yet we seem to have 2 females that DO throw seedlings. We have 2 plants that are about 4 yrs old, separated by about 75 yards with a house between them. The nearest neighbour is about 30 yds away and they do not have hops, much less a detailed landscape. I find it odd that somehow my girls throw seeds.. We dig them and pot them for our weekend nursery sales here at the homestead.

We have one trained on our well house i... read more

On Nov 6, 2009, jackidee from Sherwood, OR wrote:

Pay attention to cautions and wear gloves and long sleeves when taking this down in the fall, as it can cause a terrible rash. That said, I adore having it climb my porch post. Seems to grow inches a day in May.

On Sep 18, 2009, pixilated from Hazel Green, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I had this growing in California (zone 8) and I am getting ready to plant it again here in N. Alabama (zone 7a). I LOVE the scent of the cones when lightly rubbed. I think they smell like a Christmas tree, but my husband says not. Smell is in the nose of the beholder just as beauty is to the eye of same... and speaking of beauty, this plant is! The first year I was dubious that it would make it. It simply did not grow much, but the second year I built it a tuteur and it quickly grew up and then jumped to my neighbors apple tree on the other side of the wall. It needs space, is simple to grow, and is rewarding.

On Mar 18, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

This will be my third year growing this vine. I love it! It has golden-chartreuse foliage that fades to green in summer; the new leaves emerge golden. After flowering (blooms are rather inconspicuous) it bears unusual cone-like fruit. Needs hummus-rich soil that stays fairly moist. I cut mine back in the fall to encourage strong spring growth.

On Aug 14, 2005, grikdog from St. Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I grow this vine on the side of my house. I origionally planted it after seeing it paired with Clematis Etoile Violette in Fine Gardening magazine. However in my climate by the time the Etoile Violette bloomed the leaves of my Hop Vine had already turned a darker green and it didn't look half so good as the picture in the magazine. Overtime the Hop Vine has out competed the clematis and I am perfectly happy with my large green friend. There are some butterfly larvae that use this plant as food.

You may have to dig it a bit to prevent it sending out long runners and to contain it. This is a nice plant.

On Aug 27, 2004, vs71099 from Osage City, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first hops attempt and I'm very happy with how well it has grown. I was told that it was not hardy for my zone 5 garden. From what I've read I'm encouraged that it might be back next year which is wonderful because I have it covering a gazebo. Do I need to split it eventually to keep it healthy.... ? and seeds really don't work...?

On Aug 10, 2004, BingsBell from SC, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Another tough vine thriving on neglect in my gardens.
Planted by a friend while I was ill, this vine covered an arbor 8' tall in half a season. It had no water due to our not getting water piped to the newly fenced and many arbored area. I was told to guess what it was and through Dave's many resources available...I finally know what it is. It is now with flowers and fruit and I love it!

On Oct 1, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This vigorous, herbaceous perennial vine lends a graceful, twining elegance to any tree stump, column, wall or fence. Opposite and textured, the widely spaced, maple-like leaves open a striking, almost translucent chartreuse which changes through the season to a lime green. Numerous tiny white flowers are followed by fanciful light green hops in autumn. The stems die down to the ground come winter but greet each spring with an increasing abundance of new shoots that can grow up to 20in a season.

On Aug 18, 2001, herbin from Park Hill, OK (Zone 5b) wrote:

Vigorous twining vine with golden leaves and conelike, papery fruiting hops.