PlantFiles: Iochroma
Iochroma cyanea 'Plum Beauty'

Genus: Iochroma (eye-oh-KROH-muh) (Info)
Species: cyanea (sy-AN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Plum Beauty

Synonym:Iochroma cyaneum
Synonym:Iochroma tubulosa
Synonym:Iochroma tubulosum

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Thumbnail #6 of Iochroma cyanea by PudgyMudpies

By Calif_Sue
Thumbnail #7 of Iochroma cyanea by Calif_Sue

Neutral Dean48089 On Jul 21, 2014, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew this plant last year in a container as a 'summer annual' on the patio. The plant grew quite well and bloomed a lot. The blooms were quite pretty however they appear beneath the leaves. That would be fine, I suppose, if I had a very tall plant and could view the flowers from below, but the plant itself isn't really that pretty to look at.

Neutral LeslieT On May 2, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

While I found the plant beautiful, it did not survive a cold winter in my Zone 9b garden in Bellaire, Texas. Last year I covered it and it lived to grow even larger. This year, it was large enough and woody enough, I thought it would return from its roots if damaged (it was really too large to cover successfully). But, it didn't.

Positive PudgyMudpies On Jan 5, 2008, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I really like this plant. I find it does best in full sun. Have not seen any of the numerous hummingbirds in my area show an interest in the iochroma, which surprised me as I had read somewhere that they would be interested. This plant is really a tall, lanky shrub that needs some support to look nice. I have not attempted to prune it small to see if it would get bushy because I did not want to lose blooms. It freezes back every winter and sprouts from the roots in the Spring. I have grown these in pots and had poor success. They thrive in ground and do not bloom in partial shade for me. I think the reason they don't like to be in pots is because they develop a huge root system that fills the pot quickly and then needs constant water to sustain it. In the ground, the normal sprinkler waterings are enough. I have had a problem with aphid, scale & mealy bugs, basically, if the pests like my Brugmansia plants, they like these. Has responded well to systemic fertilizer that I use for roses, and also has no problems with soapy water or rubbing alcohol that I use for spraying pests.

Positive lisamr On Oct 31, 2005, lisamr from Roseville, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Iochroma 'Plum Beauty' is growing in a container that is in full sun. I've had this particular plant since February 2005 and it has not stopped blooming. I love it. I've tried to research the iochroma's but haven't found much information as far as propagation is concerned. However, I have successfully propagated several semi-hardwood cuttings. I haven't seen any seed pods or heads as of yet. It's a very beautiful plant.

Monterey Park, California