PlantFiles: Oriental Paper Bush
Edgeworthia chrysantha

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Edgeworthia (edj-WOR-thee-uh) (Info)
Species: chrysantha (kris-ANTH-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Edgeworthia papyrifera
Synonym:Edgeworthia tomentosa

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By hnwillis

Thumbnail #6 of Edgeworthia chrysantha by TomH3787

By bootandall
Thumbnail #7 of Edgeworthia chrysantha by bootandall

Neutral pdayrda On Jul 20, 2014, pdayrda from Ravenel, SC wrote:

I have not grown this, but want too. But very confused. I have read several articles and they all say prefers shade or light dappled sun. A lady here in charleston has one and it's planted in full shade and doing great.

Positive chilmarkgardener On Jun 13, 2014, chilmarkgardener from Chilmark, MA wrote:

Having seen an edgeworthia (E. papyrifera) in MD, and guided by plant envy, I decided to try one up north, but since E. chrysantha was listed as hardier I decided to try it instead. What a nice plant: amazing spring blooms, intensely fragrant. I really like the contrast of it's large leaves to the more delicate plants in the garden. It's habit of branching in threes instead of opposite or alternate like most plants is also refreshing.

Positive hankbates On Jun 1, 2014, hankbates from BARNSTABLE, MA wrote:

We planted one around 15 years ago in Barnstable, MA (Cape Cod, Zone 7) in an exposed location about 6 feet from the northeast wall of the house. The first winter it struggled, but after that it bloomed every year; it also survived one winter when it briefly reached -8.
When we sold the home a year and a half ago it had reached 8' in height and about 15' across.
In our new home (Yarmouth Port, 6 miles east) we planted a red flowering cultivar (some say this is E. papyrifera) which has struggled each spring to leaf out, and has not flowered. I have purchased another yellow flowering E. chrysantha 'Winter Gold" from the original source, we are anxious to see how they work out.

Neutral paperBush57 On Jan 23, 2014, paperBush57 from West Columbia, SC wrote:

Just bought an oriental paper bush.
how tolerant is it to late sunny afternoon with heat?

Positive dbvid On Apr 28, 2013, dbvid from baton rouge, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Was growing beautifully, was covered with the white flower heads which were opening up with yellow flowers. Then we had a late surprise freeze and all the flower heads died. Now, after waiting for a year, I have to wait another year to see it bloom! This is in Baton Rouge,. Louisiana

Positive Bob60 On Mar 10, 2012, Bob60 from Cherry Hill, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted two here in Cherry Hill New Jersey Zone 7A and they are doing great. It blooms in late Feb. into March before the leaves. We had a total of 6' of snow last year and did not harm it at all. Very easy shrub to grow.

Neutral Bear_Mom On Apr 22, 2010, Bear_Mom from Roswell, GA wrote:

I planted this recently in our "east" bed. I am hoping it just needs some time as the leaves wilt now in full sun and it is only April! I am in the 7a-b zone.

Positive poeae On Mar 2, 2010, poeae from (Zone 8a) wrote:

Just a note to let others know that there are at least 2 specimens of this intriguing plant growing very well in the Four Seasons area at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont, NC near Gastonia and Charlotte. Right now they are of course leafless but the un-opened white flowers are hanging from the tips of the limbs. Very striking plant and there have been many inquiries at DSBG on where to buy them. They might try to find a source to offer them at their annual plant sale in April

Positive JoeCastleHayne On May 22, 2009, JoeCastleHayne from Castle Hayne, NC wrote:

I Planted one last fall (Sep) and it held onto its leaves later than I expected it to. No leaf drop until they were frozen brown and crisp by a hard freeze sometime in December. It bloomed here in SE NC throughout Feb, and as expected smelled awesome. The DG profile list this plant as full sun but I suspect early morning sun only would be best. Mine gets full sun until around noon, and the newest growth looks very droopy from 11:00 until it is shaded by nearby trees. I saw a nursery plant growing in full shade and the leaves are much larger (2x) than mine, and this gives it a fuller look. When planting this shrub, I was worried about not having full sun (based on the exposure listing here). However, given my experience I wish I had planted it in an even more shaded location.

Positive flwr_grdn On Jan 22, 2008, flwr_grdn from Beaverton, OR wrote:

Planted this in late summer in an opening in my border and it had a very difficult transition. Our weather here in Portland, OR vicinity has been changing, with extended periods of high heat (over 93) rather than the single days that we used to get. So about two weeks after I planted, it was really hit hard by several days of full sun in the upper 90's and started to seriously wilt. And, though now I read it doesn't like to be moved, I felt I had to move it or lose it. So I shifted it about six feet to be under the dappled shade of a Japanese maple. It was like a revelation! Came back splendidly. The maple it's next to is a burgundy color; other surrounding plants are older small pines. The tips of its branches have been positively glowing in the garden next to the other darker plantings. It's brought a bright spot of interest and now I look forward to its next act: its yellow blossoms & scented bloom!

Neutral Maureen62 On Sep 19, 2007, Maureen62 from Portland, OR wrote:

My beautiful Edgeworthia did splendidly until I put totally composted and sterile dairy cow manure on as mulch. I'm guessing it blocked water absorption, but I am not sure. There are more babies growing
so instead of cutting off as suckers, I'll choose a strong one and start over. If anyone has any input on this tragedy as to why it happened, I would love to hear about it.

Positive TomH3787 On Feb 25, 2006, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

PlantFiles lists E. papyrifera as synonymous with E. chrysantha but there is disagreement about this. Some consider them to be separate species, with E. chrysantha having yellow flowers and being a bit more cold-hardy than E. papyrifera which has white flowers.

Positive satulacats On Feb 21, 2005, satulacats from Athens, GA wrote:

This plant grows beautifully in zone 7b, Athens, GA, as well. Mine is planted in western exposure and is in full flower right now.

Positive msampler On Feb 20, 2005, msampler from Barnesville (High Falls), GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

The plant is just reaching nurseries in Georgia and is being displayed as a fragrant show plant. Has been grown in Europe for over 100 years (UK). Originally from China. Hardy to zone 8, flowers: Feb-Apr with both male and female organs. Likes the west side of a wall or building in well drained soil. Does not like root disturbance, plant once. Can be raised from seed but requires up to 12 months going thru 8-12 wks 20 C then 12-14 wks of 3 C. Take half-ripe cuttings in Spring. Also called the Golden Daphne. The flower head is extremely fragrant but delicate.

Neutral mystic On Aug 18, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Deciduous spreading shrub from central China gets up to 6' tall. Clusters of fragrant creamy yellow flowers which are covered on the outside with silky hairs,appear on the ends of the branches in late winter and early spring. It has long narrow leaves and tough, flexible stems. This variety is used in Japan to make banknote paper. There is also a reddish-orange flowered form known as 'Red Dragon'.

Gadsden, Alabama