Okra
Abelmoschus esculentus 'Hill Country Heirloom Red'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelmoschus (a-bel-MOS-kus) (Info)
Species: esculentus (es-kew-LEN-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Hill Country Heirloom Red

Ozark, Missouri

Carmel, New York

Sheboygan, Wisconsin

On Aug 28, 2011, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I keep trying different okra varieties, hoping to find one I like so well I'll plant it year after year. This year I grew 12' rows of each of 5 varieties - Stewart's Zeebest, Betty's White, Cowhorn, Perkin's Long Pod, and Hill Country Red. Last year I grew Millionaire, Clemson Spineless 80, and Cajun Delight.

Hill Country Red is an attractive plant with red stems and red markings on the pods. The pods are very thick and stubby. Unfortunately, it's quit bearing already while the other varieties are still going strong, and the pods get tough at only about 2 1/2" long. My wife had already asked me not to plant this variety again - even before it quit bearing early.

So I'll give it a "neutral" instead of a "negative" because it's a real ornamental plant, but ... read more

On Nov 5, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

70 days (Texas Heirloom) Very colorful red and green 4' plants produce abundant 3" green pods with reddish tips and ribs and great flavor. Hill Country is drought tolerant and produces exceptionally well when picked small, perfect for pickled okra.