PlantFiles: Avocado
Persea americana 'Knowles'

Family: Lauraceae (law-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Persea (PER-see-uh) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Knowles

By Kelli
Thumbnail #1 of Persea americana by Kelli

Positive gray_53 On Dec 25, 2007, gray_53 from Mcdonough, GA wrote:

Like many, I have grown the seed of the avocado fruit you can find at the store by submerging it halfway in a glass of water. After it had ample roots, I put it in a pot. I have been ruthlessly cutting it to prevent it from becoming scraggly, and it currently has no leaves and is one foot high. I am not sure of the exact cultivar.

Positive kumolee On Oct 14, 2007, kumolee from Diamondhead, MS wrote:

This avocado tree is in my neighbor's yard and hangs over our fence. Previously it was pruned harshly to keep it small, and to avoid the mess from constant leaf fall, but this past year it was not pruned at all. There are many avocados growing on it, and I believe they need to be picked to ripen. The size of the fruit now (mid-October) is about fist-size and pear-shaped...very nice looking. All are hard, as you notice in stores when purchasing them, they tend to ripen at home. I am currently keeping the first four I picked in a paper bag to see if that helps speed the ripening.
I would like any information if someone has experience with them.

Positive Papawe On Jul 4, 2006, Papawe wrote:

This plant (tree is about 6 - 7 years old, being planted (from seed) by the previous owner of our home. Last year, 2005 was the first year that the plant produced, althought the crop never reached maturity. This year 2006, several hundred appeared on the tree and after several months, there are upwards of a hundred still growing. It is now June, and although I do not know of the exact species, it looks like there will be a good crop. If anyone can help me decipher the exact strain of these avacados, I would be appreciative. I also have a number of pictures I can share if anyone is interested. The tree is now about 20 - 25 ft tall and still growing. The fruit are bright green, larger thamn fist sized, and have a texture that is slightly rough. I would also like to know if pruning is prescribed for these plants.

Neutral amymtang On May 10, 2006, amymtang from Los Gatos, CA wrote:

I have it in our backyard for 10 years. It only have very small amount of avocado. Can't enjoy the fruit since they are very tiny too. However, it is a beautiful tree for shadow.

Sunnyvale, California