PlantFiles: Jone's globemallow, tufted globemallow
Sphaeralcea caespitosa

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sphaeralcea (sfeer-AL-see-uh) (Info)
Species: caespitosa (kess-pi-TOH-suh) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Orange

Silver/Gray

Thumbnail #1 of Sphaeralcea caespitosa by Ally_UT

Thumbnail #2 of Sphaeralcea caespitosa by Ally_UT

Thumbnail #3 of Sphaeralcea caespitosa by Ally_UT

Positive RustyThumb On Jun 29, 2014, RustyThumb from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

I don't remember being impressed by the flower display when I planted it last year, but in its second year - WOW. The soft melon flower cups rising a bit above the sprawling sage colored velvety leaves of this plant are spectacular. It's been in bloom for weeks, just a couple of flowers at a time. It's not profuse but it's a real eye-catcher. I have it nestled between some low growing yellow sedum and an Indian Paintbrush with its Artemesia companion. It's on the sorching south side of my house and is watered sparsely. I give the area a good drenching and then several days with no water or just a light sprinkle. I am on the lookout to get another one of these sweet beauties.

Ogden, Utah