PlantFiles: Mexican Heather, False Heather
Cuphea hyssopifolia 'Allyson Deep Rose'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cuphea (KYOO-fee-uh) (Info)
Species: hyssopifolia (hiss-sop-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Allyson Deep Rose

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Thumbnail #2 of Cuphea hyssopifolia by johnpeten

By nmerson
Thumbnail #3 of Cuphea hyssopifolia by nmerson

Positive klauzara On Mar 27, 2011, klauzara from Fairless Hills, PA wrote:

When I lived in Texas this was one of my favorite plants. It grew like crazy. I prepared my bed well though. I mixed 1 part sand and 3 parts gardening soil ( the cheap stuff from Home depot) . I also mulched , but only a light covering. I used cedar . I did not fertilize the soil for 4 years , since this was a new plant in my garden and I did not know much about it.
and 2 parts peat moss and manure . I am guestimating because I did this by the bag. The end result is that the soil is not heavy.
This plant needs to be watered at the roots. Don't spray it , it will burn the plant. It loves deep watering once a week , once it has been established , and every day until established. My plants grew to be about 14 in tall and almost 3 feet wide . Which technically from center of plant is about 1 &1/2 feet on each side. It grew best in full sun (no shade) . It grew to this size the first summer. I have friends that I gave some of the babies to and they did not do as well , but they did not take care, to take care of the prep before planting. My babies did fine. It will not get as big in a container and is not as pretty as a hanging plant , because there is no spillage over . It grows up and out. I believe this is because the roots grow out very far and need a lot of space .
There was no need to winterize it in this climate , though I did notice if I waited until spring to Dead head it when I saw the first green of the season on it , it did better. I cut it back to about 3 inches from the base. Don't worry when the first freeze looks like it killed it . No need to pack it for the winter.
I had 16 of these in my front yard along my drive , these plants produced 100's of children . off shoots that will take over if you let them. I gave away and transplanted until I could not find any body to take more .
This plant will attract bees so if you are afraid of them this is not YOUR plant. In addition , humming birds and butterflys love it also.
So, if you take care of the prep work this plant will be a hard worker for you , as it blooms from spring until first freeze .

Negative fawnddawn On May 28, 2008, fawnddawn from Oxford, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased this plant at kroger for my g.mother and it is dying. Not dead yet but i dont have any instructions on how to care for it. It didn't have any with it. I keep it on me front porch pointing to the east so it gets morning light till around 11:30 in the morning. I have been watering it every other day and it is still drying up. Help!

Positive lester3437 On Mar 22, 2007, lester3437 from Plant City, FL wrote:

Plant City, Florida: Planted as a border along a walk-way on west side of house about a year ago. They get lots of light and full sun in afternoon. Leaves are dark green and have been in full bloom since the day they were planted. Growth rate is slow. During our dry season they get watered twice a week. Plants are low maintenance and are absolutely beautiful.

Positive Sonj On Aug 26, 2006, Sonj from Collingwood, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is planted in very poor soil (very gravelly). It gets full sun, and I water it every other day. It is still flowering; growth rate is slow. Overall, I am very satisfied with this plant.

Madison, Alabama