Mexican Heather, False Heather 'Allyson Deep Rose'

Cuphea hyssopifolia

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cuphea (KYOO-fee-uh) (Info)
Species: hyssopifolia (hiss-sop-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Allyson Deep Rose

Leander, Texas

Point, Texas

Tyler, Texas

On Mar 27, 2011, klauzara from Fairless Hills, PA wrote:

When I lived in Texas this was one of my favorite plants. It grew like crazy. I prepared my bed well though. I mixed 1 part sand and 3 parts gardening soil ( the cheap stuff from Home depot) . I also mulched , but only a light covering. I used cedar . I did not fertilize the soil for 4 years , since this was a new plant in my garden and I did not know much about it.
and 2 parts peat moss and manure . I am guestimating because I did this by the bag. The end result is that the soil is not heavy.
This plant needs to be watered at the roots. Don't spray it , it will burn the plant. It loves deep watering once a week , once it has been established , and every day until established. My plants grew to be about 14 in tall and almost 3 feet wide . Which technically from center of pl... read more

On May 28, 2008, fawnddawn from Oxford, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased this plant at kroger for my g.mother and it is dying. Not dead yet but i dont have any instructions on how to care for it. It didn't have any with it. I keep it on me front porch pointing to the east so it gets morning light till around 11:30 in the morning. I have been watering it every other day and it is still drying up. Help!

On Mar 22, 2007, lester3437 from Plant City, FL wrote:

Plant City, Florida: Planted as a border along a walk-way on west side of house about a year ago. They get lots of light and full sun in afternoon. Leaves are dark green and have been in full bloom since the day they were planted. Growth rate is slow. During our dry season they get watered twice a week. Plants are low maintenance and are absolutely beautiful.

On Aug 26, 2006, Sonj from Collingwood, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is planted in very poor soil (very gravelly). It gets full sun, and I water it every other day. It is still flowering; growth rate is slow. Overall, I am very satisfied with this plant.