Chubese Toona, Chinese Cedrela, Chinese Mahogany

Cedrela sinensis

Family: Meliaceae (me-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cedrela (SEED-rel-uh) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Toona sinensis

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Escondido, California

Centre Hall, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Belton, Texas

On Dec 24, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

It looks a lot like an Ailanthus, but the leaves smell of onions. It is fast-growing and adaptable, tolerating road salt and a wide diversity of soils and pH. Clear yellow fall color.

Prefers full sun and good drainage, and the habit is upright-spreading when given space. Can reach 60-70' tall and 30-50' wide.

Dirr reports this has been successfully used as an urban street tree in Philadelphia, Santa Barbara, and Paris (France).

Sometimes suckers and forms colonies. In some places it may self-sow. Its useful lifespan is 60-80 years.

Perfectly hardy in Boston's Arnold Arboretum (Z6a). The Morton Arboretum (Lisle, IL, Z5a) reports annual freeze injury. Dirr reports that it has not fared well in the hot summers at Athens, GA (Z7b/8a... read more

On Nov 19, 2011, saltcedar from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Lacks heat tolerance. 8c to 10c (50f) average annual temps are the best range.
Two year old specimens died after 4 months at 100F. (66f average annual temps)

On Apr 10, 2009, markdeutsch from Pass Christian, MS wrote:

Pass Christian Z9a. I have 4 trees grown from seeds. The biggest is 4 ft. tall and, I think, 3 years old. The small ground planted tree dropped leaves during a summer hot spell, but recovered as conditions moderated. Keep in mind that my water table is down about 20 ft., my soil lacks humus, and it's difficult to maintain moisture in my soil. I put a containerized specimen with its base always in water, and the leaves maintained in 100 F . This showed me that the problem was lack of moisture with the ground-planted one....not high temperature. It's also tolerating soil ph of 5.5

On Feb 3, 2007, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I admired a specimen of this plant at the University of KY campus for decades, until it was lost to a new building that took it's site.

Chinese Toon will never be a common name rolling off of the average gardener's tongue. It resembles for all the world a peeling-barked Ailanthus, which is not generally a winner in anyone's book. I can't say I ever noticed it when it flowered in all those years, but what I liked about this plant were the interesting dried husks left over after the seeds were released.

I've posted a picture of some of those husks that I collected over 10 years ago. They make great dried decorations (if your cats don't get them).

This tree has been mentioned as very tolerant of landscape extremes, and for having been used as a ... read more