Elephant Head Amaranth, Amaranthus
Amaranthus tricolor 'Greek'

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Amaranthus (am-uh-RANTH-us) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Cultivar: Greek
Synonym:Amaranthus gangeticus

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Flowers are good for cutting

Carrollton, Georgia

Contoocook, New Hampshire

San Marcos, Texas

On Dec 3, 2013, strange2u from Hinsdale, IL wrote:

I don't know, if this is the plant Baker Creek has in their catalog. They just call it Elephant Head Amaranth, without the cultivar name.

On Mar 22, 2013, leahg123 from Redwood, TX wrote:

This plant is a show stopper! When people come over and see my garden, they are always amazed at this crazy-looking thing.

The initial "trunk" will bloom and then the plant will send off side shoots that are absolutely stunning in bouquets.

During our infamous drought of 2011, plus over a month of 105-ish degree temps, this guy was still rocking and rolling. Can't imagine a summer without now.

On Aug 11, 2012, nhplanter from Washington, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grow this variety of amaranth every year in my flower beds. It is very showy and readily self seeds.

On Aug 25, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

So so happy with my amaranth! My Seeds of Change Elephant Head seeds have added a really exotic flare to my garden, with lush, robust foliage and attention grabbing blooms. Always a conversation starter. I planted a whole bed of them, and am as close to being in a jungle with them as I can get! I planted them with some remaining Hopi Red Dye, which was good since the Hopi tends to flop in the late season (and the Elephant has yet to even try), however word is they cross pollinate easily. Looking forward to what comes forth next year, but their individual uses may be compromised.

On Nov 15, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A unique and stoutly-branched variety. Produces green-gold flower plumes with an abundance of dark purple seeds. In Greece the greens are served steamed. Sow directly, 8-10 seeds per foot when soil is warm and danger of frost has passed. For an earlier crop, can be planted in flats and transplanted when 4-8 inches tall. Enriching soil with mature compost gives larger plants and greater yield of seeds. Pick at peak of bloom, or for eating, leave heads on plants until they drop a few seeds or pick before the first frost. Dry a week.