PlantFiles: Hybrid Elm
Ulmus 'Green King'

Family: Ulmaceae (ulm-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ulmus (ULM-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Green King

Thumbnail #3 of Ulmus  by lkz5ia

Thumbnail #4 of Ulmus  by lkz5ia

Thumbnail #5 of Ulmus  by lkz5ia

Positive coyotehollow On Jan 30, 2009, coyotehollow from Weldona, CO wrote:

I received two of these from Gurney's years ago, just to watch them bud out--put out a leader, and then die in the summer heat. They really didn't impress me much. That being said, I purchased two more of them rooted out in mini pots from Stark Brothers and wow what a difference! The one I planted that received minimal watering from my sprinkler is doing fantastic, and even surpassed the irrigated second elm in growth. Both are doing well this winter and remain flexible, so I am certain they will be viable.

I filled in as much info as I could from the wikipedia on this elm, it does not have a patent but does have a trademarked name from 1964 from a nursery in Missouri I believe. It also may not be a hybrid, but a "sport" (variation--mutant) from an existing siberian elm near Neosho, MO.

It does grow fantastically fast, and the only thing preventive from it being more widely planted is the fact that no real data concerning its susceptibility to DED is available (although if it is truly a siberian elm, it would be resistant), and from the fact that it has been left behind with the new elm cultivars that are being produced by Schmidt nursery and others. Personally, for the price of it--plus the growth, and beauty--you cannot go wrong here.

Positive lkz5ia On Nov 19, 2006, lkz5ia from Denison, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I like elms, and this hybrid is no exception. I've had it for 3 growing seasons so far, and it has growed fast. I'm excited to see it 20 years down the road. It on top of a hill, with no protection from the wind. This year was its first year it seeded, and I planted the seeds. One seed came up. I could see the quantity of seeds as a minor problem in the future. The info about this particular hybrid is lacking.

Weldona, Colorado