Hybrid Elm
Ulmus 'Green King'

Family: Ulmaceae (ulm-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ulmus (ULM-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Green King

over 40 ft. (12 m)

By grafting

Weldona, Colorado

Denison, Iowa

On Jan 30, 2009, coyotehollow from Weldona, CO wrote:

I received two of these from Gurney's years ago, just to watch them bud out--put out a leader, and then die in the summer heat. They really didn't impress me much. That being said, I purchased two more of them rooted out in mini pots from Stark Brothers and wow what a difference! The one I planted that received minimal watering from my sprinkler is doing fantastic, and even surpassed the irrigated second elm in growth. Both are doing well this winter and remain flexible, so I am certain they will be viable.

I filled in as much info as I could from the wikipedia on this elm, it does not have a patent but does have a trademarked name from 1964 from a nursery in Missouri I believe. It also may not be a hybrid, but a "sport" (variation--mutant) from an existing siberian elm nea... read more

On Nov 19, 2006, lkz5ia from Denison, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I like elms, and this hybrid is no exception. I've had it for 3 growing seasons so far, and it has growed fast. I'm excited to see it 20 years down the road. It on top of a hill, with no protection from the wind. This year was its first year it seeded, and I planted the seeds. One seed came up. I could see the quantity of seeds as a minor problem in the future. The info about this particular hybrid is lacking.