Shrub Rose, Pioneer Rose
Rosa 'F.J. Lindheimer'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: F.J. Lindheimer

Habit:

Shrub

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Converse, Texas

Manor, Texas

On Feb 18, 2010, oldroselover from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Mine is extremely hardy and floriferous. It grows in my Fort Worth, Texas garden in a very large pot. It is tall and upright, and has at least a bloom or two on the plant most of the time. When it gets a flush of blooms, it is just beautiful with its yellow/orange/pink colors. It has a light fragrance. Mine also will set hips very easily if I don't keep it deadheaded. All in all, a great, disease resistant plant, and a very cheerful one as well! I have had good luck with all of the Texas Pioneer roses I have purchased from the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, Texas. They also have a San Antonio retail location and display garden. They have a wonderful selection of old garden roses as well as their own Texas Pioneer ones.

On Dec 23, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

blooms often. Lovely upright shrub.

On Feb 19, 2008, texasmark from Manor, TX wrote:

When I got mine last Thanksgiving, it had been sitting under wet, dripping trees at the nursery after two weeks of rainy weather. So as you might expect even from a blackspot-resistant variety, it did have some spotted leaves, but also lots of buds which put on a fine show right up till Christmas. I didn't spray it but just let it be. Then some hard freezes and windstorms took most all of the leaves. Now just seven weeks later, it's leafing out all over with fresh clean foliage, and I look forward soon to its beautiful, fragrant blooms. As they fade from rich apricot to soft pink blush, the different colors of flowers on the same bush make it very showy and cheerful. See my photos.

On Jan 29, 2006, Tir_Na_Nog from Houston
United States (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased this rose from a nursery but they had pruned it back to almost nothing. It took almost a year for it to recover, I guess from pruning and being planted, but now it looks great and has several large apricot colored blooms and it's only January in Texas!!! It was great for about a year but a transplant of a Queen Elizabeth who is sooo prone to black spot has infected this rose as well.