Urn Plant, Silver Vase Bromeliad, Aechmea
Aechmea fasciata

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aechmea (EEK-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: fasciata (fash-ee-AY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Billbergia fasciata

Partial to Full Shade

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Purple

Boca Raton, Florida

Bonita Springs, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida

Eustis, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Freeport, Florida

Fruitland Park, Florida

Haines City, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Maitland, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

North Palm Beach, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Oviedo, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Patterson, Georgia

Spring, Texas

Leon, West Virginia

On Jul 29, 2013, Louloudi from Corfu
Greece wrote:

This plant also grows successfully here on the Greek island of Corfu.

A friend gave me one of her pups two years ago and today I noticed it is producing two of its own.

It lives happily on my north facing veranda from April to December, and comes into the house from January to March. It looks so exotic, and yet is so easy to grow..

On Sep 15, 2012, mzmolly65 from Birch Bay, WA wrote:

My first Aechmea fasciata is just starting to produce pups. According to the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies the plant will only flower once in it's life time. I'm curious as to why they would say this when so many of you comment that it flowers more than once.

Either way there are a lot of answers to everyone's questions at this link

On Mar 2, 2012, dblack616 from Morton, IL wrote:

I have had this plant for at least 6 years however my experience with it seems to be different than what others have written.
Mine only blooms every other year. It will bloom and at the same time a pup grows. Then the bloom dies and the mother plant dies back slowly. Then when the pup matures (almost 2 years later) it will bloom and the process continues. I never get more than one pup at a time. Maybe I should fertilize.
Do any of you fertilize? Also I rarely water mine. I live in Illinois so it stays indoors year-round.
Any advice?

On Jan 30, 2012, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, deep Southeast, TX on Lake Sam Rayburn.
Can you please tell me how to get my URN PLANT to bloom?

On Mar 7, 2011, moosedroppings from Dover, AR wrote:

I have a question about this plant...the flower on mine has faded and looks nasty...do I leave it on or remove it. If I remove it how do I do that?
I am a plant dummy and this is the first one I haven't killed and there is a baby coming up which I learned from this site is called a pup.
Thanks,
Shirley

On Jul 21, 2009, seatick from Fruitland Park, FL wrote:

Seven years ago I went to an estate sale in Yalaha where the homeowner gave me a tired tattered Achemea fasciata. I put it in a pot and hung it out over my deck where it has an Eastern exposure under ancient Oaks. It has been there through the hurricanes and last winter when it got down to 25 degrees I covered it with a sheet, hoping for the best as it was way too large to move indoors. It has bloomed every year since 2004, with the blooms lasting several months, and even then when the bloom fades and is removed it takes the mother plant several years to slowly die. By that time there are several pups. The plant is now filling a 3 gallon pot and spilling over the sides. It is a wonderful plant and one I never would have thought could be grown outside here in the Leesburg area!!

On Jan 13, 2008, saffron08 from Atlantic City, NJ wrote:

My grandmother had a Silver Leafed Urn Plant since way back in the early 90s. About 5 years ago, she insisted I take it as she was clearing out some of her older plants. She never knew what kind of plant it was and I just thought it was a corn plant. It was also growing pups when she gave it to me. I kept it in a warm sunny spot in the winters and put it outside in the summer. I never put water in the center for fear of rot and I always watered it sparingly in the winter. I really did zero maintenance on it as I was very busy and constantly on the go between work and school.

Two summers ago the 4 pups got as big as the original and I had to finally pay attention to them and separate them. I did so, and gave them all new pots. They grew well over the winter and then this pas... read more

On Sep 16, 2007, grayling from North Bend, OR wrote:

I do not have a green thumb at all. Every house plant I have had has died for one reason, me. But, for mothers day 2007 my son and new daughter-in-law gave me this wonderful plant. It was in bloom and was beautiful. I was told that all I had to do was water it from the middle and alittle in the base. Over the past months it has sprung other shoots from it's base and the flower in the middle has turned brown. From reading all of your experiences it would seem that I need to plant it out side. Is this true? I live in Oregon on the coast. I also do not know what to do with either the shoots or the dead bloom. I am afraid to do anything with it for fear of killing it. Can you help? Thank You.

On Aug 12, 2007, daddypea from plymouth
United Kingdom wrote:

I live in England and was given my Urn when it was just 2 leaves in a pot. It sat on my desk at work for 2 years and the flower on it now is absolutely fantastic. I have watered it regularly into the tray it stands in though i understand i should have put some water in the 'urn'

On Jul 22, 2005, 01Leta from Bigfork,, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Hey, Dave's Garden Devotees!

Just this morning, yee ha,.... is my 69th Birthday, and my S.O. (Significant Other- Crow) walked over while I was having my early cup of coffee and placed in my hands, while verbalizing 'a very Happy Birthday to me,' this be--u--ti----ful Bromeliad Aechmea fasciata. I am thrilled.

Now listen up, this is my second Bromeliad as a gift from my S.O. These Bromeliads are the genesis of my search on the internet to find out anything I could about these Bromeliads. Well.....that led to 'Dave's Garden,' and this opened up a new world for me, as I have already stated in 'My Profile,' these are my first ever real live plants in my home.

Therefore, please note that as I can observe this beautiful plant I will be able to... read more

On Apr 15, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this bromeliad. I got it for its bloom two novembers ago. Planted it in the canopy of a japanese privet. Last october I decided to split it up...little did I know I got 7 pups from the mother plant! I planted them along my driveway and they are beautiful. They are really low maintenance as well. I just make sure there's always some water in their "urn" and protect them with frost cloth during cold spells. Their already starting to produce pups of their own. Their mother is still slowly dying but is still producing pups! The beautiful foliage is covered with a white powder which makes them more beautiful. The flower has beautiful pink bracts with indigo true flowers inbedded in them. Lasts pretty long.

On Apr 6, 2005, CATSLARSON from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have large patches of various bromeliads in my yard and this is one of my favorite. I initially planted them 9 years ago and have continued to divide up pups and spread to different locations - part shade with no special care and prospering well even though they routinely get stomped by my dogs.

On Dec 2, 2004, laspalmasdesign from Los Altos, CA wrote:

A fantastic, bold, spreading plant that's great for the SF Bay Area. Contrary to what some say, the mother plants in my garden bloom repeatedly every year despite having several pups growing around them. Very exotic looking when planted in mass in the ground with palms and other subtropicals. Plant in 3/4 peat moss and 1/4 cactus mix and keep moist. Don't plant in heavy, clay soil unless you want their roots to rot.

On Feb 2, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I grew this plant in the ground in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b, for almost 10 years, and now my neighbor across the street there has many pups from my plants still growing profusely in her front yard. We were just visiting down there over New Year's, and St. Petersburg hadn't had any frost, and all of the gardens there were strikingly beautififul and very, very green.

I acquired my plants, along with several other types of Bromeliads, from another neighbor who had lived in her home for over 50 years, and she remembered flocks of Flamingos and Roseate Spoonbills roaming her yard near Boca Ciega Bay. Obviously her plants were acclimatized to the cooler weather, as St. Petersburg is just north of Bromeliad's zone.

On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

From the grocery a few years ago, blooms each year, with the flower stalk lasting for up to 11 months, offsets readily, prone to spider mites.

On Aug 23, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

These plants grow to be very large but well worth the space they require. I like them for their striking foliage as an accent plant among other plants.
They are carefree--just keep water in the cups and wait for the "bloom" which lasts for a long time. Slowly the parent plant dies as the 'pups' that form at the base grow and continue the process. Truly a desirable plant and a joy to behold.

On Aug 11, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These plants are definite eye catchers. Mine remain outside year round (zone 9a.) Last winter, the temperature dipped to 19 degrees, wind chills to 10 degrees. The Silver Vase Bromeliad leaves died back somewhat but were coming back. We've had almost 2 months of daily showers, a lot of them heavy & it seems to be regressing. The cream colored with green stipes & red center seem untouched.

On Jul 15, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

My experience with this plant is quite curious. I was in the hospital, my girlfriend went on a complicated surgery (she had cancer), and I was waiting for news. In the end of the corridor there was a vase with this bromeliad. We became like friends, since I talked to the plant all the time because I was too nervous to stand quiet. Thankfully everything went well. Now I want some room at home, so I can have my own Aechmea fasciata.

On Aug 20, 2001, euphorbrom from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9A) wrote:

The original plant is light to medium green with silvery bands - a variegated form with white to cream stripes running down the leaf is also available. The pink, spikey inflorescence lasts for months; individual blooms are purple and last only a day. Don't expect seeds, but do expect offsets (pups) to appear at the base; these can be left attached to form a cluster, or removed when 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the parent. Let them dry a day or two and then pot them up. No fertilizer is really needed. Keep water in the central cup, changing it once a week, and keep the soil barely damp. Very tough plant!!