Panda Plant, Pussy Ears, Teddy Bear Plant

Kalanchoe tomentosa

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: tomentosa (toh-men-TOH-suh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Pale Yellow

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

From leaf cuttings

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler, Arizona

Lafayette, Tennessee

Andrews, Texas

Hondo, Texas

On Oct 23, 2012, Rare440 from Hondo, TX wrote:

The Kalachoe Tomentosa has to be one of the easiest (if not THE easiest) plant I've ever made rooting cuttings from. In fact, I didn't even have to make the cuttings; several leaves broke off when I unwrapped the plant from its shipping box (I bought it on Ebay), so I decided to see if they would root, as I had read. About two weeks after laying the leaves out on my patio table, I saw tiny roots poking out from the calloused end. I couldn't be happier. Now, I'm trying the same thing with some leaf cuttings from my Kalanchoe Beharensis "Fang." So far, so good!

On Nov 27, 2010, CactusDog from Payson, UT wrote:

I love this plant, and have a large mother plant that i love. I am very experienced in propagating cuttings of many different kinds, and from what i have read about the kalanchoe tomentosa, it seemed easy enough to propagate, so i have tried. many times. I have attempted to propagate over 40 cuttings, with only one success. So, i guess this just isnt the easiest plant to propagate through cuttings.

On Feb 21, 2008, GranvilleSouth from (Zone 10a) wrote:

Not your typical succulent but it grows on you with its little spots & fuzzy leaves. I have never seen one flower or ever found a picture of one flowering, despite a fair bit of looking. There is a mystery to this plant in that way for me.

On Oct 14, 2007, meryl1cat from Chippenham
United Kingdom wrote:

Just discovered this plant in a charity sale, new to me but should survive well as I forget to water all houseplants.

On Aug 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

there are many cultivars of this species available at common nurseries, so if your plant doesn't look exactly like the ones in the photos here, don't be alarmed.. probably still a K tomentosa. Some have huge leaves, some dinky, some skinny, some white, some dark etc.

On Jul 27, 2004, greenlarry from Darlington
United Kingdom wrote:

A very attractive if slow growing plant. One to keep!

On Oct 6, 2003, dieter67 from Henderson, NV (Zone 10a) wrote:

UPDATE! I just moved my beloved kalanchoe tomentosa into a pot twice the size, and it's moving right in. We've had cooler weather lately, and growing is sort of slow.

When I prune my Kalanchoe tomentosa, I place it in another pot, which I give away to family or friends. I know this plant does well in Lancaster, CA, as I gave a cutting to my 89 year-old grandmother. The plant survived 112F temperatures, and was placed in a covered patio when the winter temperatures regularly fell into the 10-20F range. Have fun!

On Aug 21, 2001, tiredwabbit from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tips of this plant get a brown (almost rusty color) on the edges. It has a furry texture.