Bottle Brush
Callistemon laevis

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Callistemon (kal-lis-STEE-mon) (Info)
Species: laevis (LEE-viss) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Blue-Green

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

On Mar 15, 2012, kayceehoag from Covington, LA wrote:

This plant grows well in Southeast Louisiana. Zone 8b

On Jul 2, 2010, hishelpmate from Perry, FL (Zone 8a) wrote:

A GARDEN MUST HAVE FOR THE NATURE ENTHUSIAST OF THE FLYING VARIETY

I purchased this plant for a botanical loving friend of mine last spring at about 4' tall. She has mostly shade but placed it at a fence that receives some light. It blooms sparsely from April-May but has not grown much taller.

I loved the blooms so much that I purchased one for myself shortly after and planted it in my garden bed along our fence in mostly sun. It has grown to over 6' tall in just one year and blooms July-August but in patches.
I moved it just 2' in distance in the fall and it dropped a good portion of its leaves. I was afraid that I had killed it. I was pleasantly surprised to see soft,new,light green growth this spring off old growth. The fallen leaves have yet t... read more

On Jun 13, 2010, aisleigh from White Oak, GA wrote:

My first bottle brush is a tree about 15 feet tall, beautiful blooms every year. I purchased another one that I am not seeing the same result. They are only about 10 feet apart. I hear there are trees and bushes. How do I know the difference? I prefer trees but am not sure the nurseries I buy them from know the difference. Any info would be appreciated.

On May 31, 2010, Vinite from Grapevine, TX wrote:

I fell in love with these on a trip to San Francisco, knowing full well that they wouldn't do well in Texas. Of the 5 I had, 3 died in last year's record cold. The ones which came back are dwarf variety and I was able to mulch and placed lightweight foam pots over them when temps went below freezing. I was surprised and pleased since they can be expensive here. They don't bloom as well as the regular ones, but that may be more about location. I have had the taller ones survive milder winters by covering with blankets. They grow and bloom better in the ground than in a pot.

On Feb 22, 2010, sprigsntwigs from Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have 2 healthy bottle brush plants ( 2ft. and 6ft) in a sunny area, good soil. No problems with any plants/shrubs in yard. BUT, my bottle brushes don't bloom. Any advice/hints as to what could be wrong? Also, I'm in SC - nice weather.

Thanks for any help!

On Feb 18, 2010, jimlouisiana from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I have a bottle brush tree that was just planted in the fall of 2009. It is about 6 ft.
I live in Baton Rouge Louisiana and we have had an unusually cold winter here. The leaves on one side of the tree have turned brown and are dropping. the tree appears to still be alive. Does anyone know if the leaves will come back after they have dropped and if so, should I expect blooms this year?
Thanks from the deep cold south!

On Jan 21, 2010, elano from Manchester
United Kingdom wrote:

I purchased a Bottle Brush plant 3 years ago, about 12" tall and put it in a pot on the patio, it has tripled in size but we have just had the worst cold weather for 30years and it looks a little poorly now. Hoping it will survive. Has beautiful blooms quite breathtaking. I will be transplanting it in the ground this summer - if it has not died.

On Jul 13, 2009, nettie8514 from Schertz, TX wrote:

We bought this tree on a whim 7 years ago it is now about 6 feet tall and in our heat we see blooms practically all year long all the birds, butterfly and bees love this tree and it beautiful to look at. I would love to plant more around our house but I am unable to locate in the nurseries

On May 26, 2009, diedrika from curacao
Netherlands Antilles wrote:

We have two Bottle Brushes, Curacao, Dutch West Indies,

temp. average 30 degr.C./much wind/little rain, very arid.

On May 25, 2009, phizz from Albany, OR wrote:

Assured plant would thrive here. We had a long very cold spell last winter, thought sure I had lost my bottle brush. It looks a little sad, but has new growth at the base and maybe on the tops of branches. I will leave it to see what happens with it for the summer.

On May 3, 2009, olachica from essex
United Kingdom wrote:

help my 4ft bottle brush plant has turned copper and brown its 5 years old is it dead

On Apr 30, 2008, Gardenia731 from (Arlene) Lakeland, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Inherit this tree when I purchased my home. It is breathtaking once it blooms. Absolutely love it!

On Apr 19, 2008, birdznbeez from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA wrote:

I love this "tree", purchased as a shrub, we trim up from the base so that it will become a "tree". We've had it 2 years, (its about 4 /12 feet tall) The hummingbirds just love it and the hooded orioles too!. It blooms all summer and stays green during our mild winter in Southern Ca. It's planted against a wall with an eastern exposure, & seems to tolerate heat , drought and our clay soil.

On Nov 24, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant was grown from a plug plant obtained from Mair & Thompsom circa 1999. Now quite tall, it is a robust grower not yet tried outside but is comfortable in a cold greenhouse zone 8a UK. Lare leaves, new leaves light maroon and a little furry. Stamens get covered in large globules of nectar, a rich scarlet bottle brush quite large flower.