PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Cherokee Green'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Cherokee Green

Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Positive debles On Jul 16, 2013, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

My favorite green tomato. I just had a tomato sandwich made from a very large one this morning and ate the rest of the tomato with salt and pepper.
I've never had any luck growing Aunt Ruby's German Green, but Cherokee Green always produces for me.
Trying to tell when to pick and eat them is the most difficult part of growing it. I judge by feel more than color, although mine develop a yellow cast when they're ripe.

Positive gardadore On Aug 28, 2012, gardadore from Saylorsburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I agree with others that this is the best tasting green tomato I have ever grown but I do have to watch that I pick it at just the right time and don't let it sit around too long or it will get too juicy and mushy. It is an amazing sumptuous treat indeed and I will be growing this again!!

Positive Californian On Aug 15, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

Cherokee Green is one of the best if not the best tasting tomato I ever tasted. The taste changes depending upon ripeness, but is always good. The tomato has one flaw though, when over ripe the inside liquifies, and thanks to the thick skin you end up with a sack of gel. And due to the green when ripe color the tomato can easily get over ripe on you. The shelf life of the tomato is also very, very short due to the liquifying problem.
In fact tomatoes that get too ripe on the plant break open and the insides drain out, leaving a sack of tomato skin hanging there. But the great tastes offsets the lack of keeping properties so I plan to save seeds and plant this again.

Positive carminator1 On Sep 6, 2010, carminator1 from mobile, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Love this tomato, it has the perfect fruity flavor. Did not get lots this year but I really think my growing conditions plus bugs have been really bad, still it has been a wonderful tomato that I will grow again.

Positive SLO_Garden On Jul 17, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

This is a very sweet, yummy tomato! For me, the fruit is a bit smaller than Cherokee Purple or Chocolate, but other than that (and the color), they are very similar. I would definitely grown Cherokee Green again.

Positive Suze_ On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the best green when ripe I've grown. Amazing flavor. A top three tomato in my garden.

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 25, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

86 days, indeterminate Another variety submitted by Craig LeHoullier who writes, "In 1997, I grew out Cherokee Chocolate from another seed saver. One plant gave me fruit that stayed green when ripe with delicious flavor. Suspecting it was a cross, it has nonetheless proven to come true from saved seed, indicating that it may be a mutation. It is essentially like Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Chocolate in plant habit, fruit shape and size and flavor, but the interior ripens bright green and the skin takes on a yellowish hue when ripe.

Mobile, Alabama