Windamere Palm

Trachycarpus latisectus

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachycarpus (trak-ee-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: latisectus (lat-ee-SEK-tuss) (Info)
Synonym:Trachycarpus sikkimensis

Partial to Full Shade

Provides winter interest

Mckinleyville, California

Reseda, California

Natchez, Mississippi

North, South Carolina

On Jul 20, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have a number of seedlings of this palm growing in my yard and so far find them slow and somewhat 'ordinary'... but I know they will look better and better as the years go by. They are certainly not very hardy to inland sun and heat as seedlings, and do much better with significant shade protection, as does T martianus (takil, fortunei and princeps so far seem as happy in sun or shade).

Now that I have had and seen early trunking forms of this species in southern California, I have serious doubts about its cold hardiness, as even mod frosts badly damage the leaves (temps dipping very briefly into the mid 20s). I seriously doubt it could survive anything below 20F and certainly not for any sustained freeze. Claims that it will survive 10F seem unjustified and extremely ... read more

On Nov 27, 2005, mnorell from Natchez, MS (Zone 9a) wrote:

A particularly attractive Trachycarpus adaptable to a wide range of climates, from cool, damp (U.K. and U.S. Pacific Northwest) to humid subtropical/semi-tropical (U.S. South/Southeast and Florida). This is a new introduction from Darjeeling, India, where it grows at a wide range of elevation (3950-7900 feet), which may help to make it so adaptable. Reportedly somewhat tender when quite young (and perhaps should be treated as a zone 9a plant at that point), when mature (trunking) it should be able to handle significant freezing weather--to at least 10 degrees Fahrenheit and perhaps lower. Beautiful, glossy-green, wide-segmented leaves give a lush appearance on a smooth trunk, and even young plants are quite attractive.