PlantFiles: Apricot Vine, Maypop, Purple Passion Flower, Passionflower, Passionvine, Passion Vine
Passiflora incarnata

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: incarnata (in-kar-NAH-tuh) (Info)

Pale Pink
Violet/Lavender
Purple

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
Scarify seed before sowing
By simple layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By dave

Thumbnail #6 of Passiflora incarnata by Thaumaturgist

By W8N4Answers
Thumbnail #7 of Passiflora incarnata by W8N4Answers

Neutral sallyg On Oct 26, 2013, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Neutral- though I would say Negative because of its aggressive nature. After its first winter, it emerged in many spots up to ten feet away front he previous year's plant. The only place it did not persist in is poorly drained and in shade until late in the day. It died out there, after sending out shoots ten feet away.
It has thick bumpy roots that help it overwinter (picture submitted) . It grew from a tiny bit of rooted cutting someone gave me; I might have taken that as a clue. I dug some and potted it for a swap but in the 6 inch pot it did not live through winter.
But I give it neutral because of the interesting fruit, fascinating flowers that bumblebees just love. In this area, I have not seen any caterpillars that use this plant.

Neutral Phytowarrior On Aug 11, 2013, Phytowarrior from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

As a Naturopathic student with a love of Herbal Medicine I grow many medicinal herbs in my garden for the fun of it.

I'm living in Brisbane, Australia now and it's a sub-tropical climate 30minutes drive from the ocean.

It rains on average 5 days a week, never frosts, never droughts and the garden is teeming with worms so it's very fertile soil.

The Passiflora incarnata I planted at the end of autumn is still no growing any larger! It's producing new tiny tiny leaves that keep falling to the ground and is alive but hasn't grown any bigger above the ground in 3 months! I'm seriously hoping this a just because I planted in autumn and it means the roots are growing stronger & larger.

I have this fear because the same plant i attempted to grow in Sydney, Australia 3 years ago died after only a month of constant watering (due to a drought being on) and never thrived obviously.

So I've got it growing in part-shade in a subtropical climate with plenty of natural rain fall (i never have to water anything in my garden) and the earth is full of worms right at the surface.

is there anything I can do to SPEED up growth? =)

Positive PupillaCharites On May 22, 2013, PupillaCharites from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Regarding the toxicity comments. The literature generally says that the traces of cyanogenic glycosides are no more than you find in apples, almonds, peaches, cherries, apricots, etc. Maypops were a Native American staple in the vigorous part of their range. The fruit contains minimal if detectable cyanogenic glycosides, but the leaves have a small amount. Tea, if you are so inclined, made from the leaves in moderation is no problem. If the leaves are boiled in the water, the enzymes that would release the tolerable toxicity are virtually deactivated, so boiling the leaves to make an infusion or extract tea to take advantage of some of the alledged mood modifying and calming effects would eliminate this. "Processed" passion fruit is not better than the home grown variety within normal agricultural variation found in P. edulis crops. Really edulis is commonly eaten now, and incarnata was commonly eaten 200 years ago throughout the South by settlers and Natives alike. If you are really concerned, eat only what little you find in the usually :-( hollow fruits ripe vs. still green (no one eats them that way raw anyway), or boil your tea, instead of chowing on raw leaves like the caterpillars mentioned by the prior poster (since no one eats the leaves raw, really it is a non issuse, but just good to to get the whole story).

Positive xisting4me On Apr 18, 2013, xisting4me from Midland, MI wrote:

I just wanted to share that this plant contain trace amounts of cyanide which is toxic.....it is why the caterpillars eat it......to arm against threats. So I would make sure that I am ingesting processed passiflora as apposed to my own backyard special.

Many Passiflora species are cyanogenic (Olafsdottir et al. 1989; Spencer 1988)

Positive Michaelp On Dec 17, 2012, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love to see it growing on someone elses property, --it is beautiful, -- I use the leaves for tea, [2 tsp/cup]-- it will lower my high blood pressure almost instantly, and also insure a good nights sleep

Positive Sylve4713 On Nov 3, 2012, Sylve4713 from Erwin, NC wrote:

Today my husband, kids and their cousins(after doing some researching) ate some of the Maypop growing wild in our back yard. I was the skeptic. I grew up believing that they were poisonous. The kids loved it. I did not eat any. It takes me alot of reading and hearing from bonafide scholars to have even gone near the stuff. My husband and I did notice this spring that the flowers were so beautiful though!!! Who knew that we had this in our back yard. Will defintely keep my husband busy come spring so that they will get easier to get to next time!! Wonderful little treat for the kids today after such a long cold, windy week of school!!!!! We will keep an eye out for these!!!
Thanks,
Sylvia

Neutral jockstender On Oct 14, 2012, jockstender from Charleston, SC wrote:

I anticipate planting p. incarnata in my home garden as a butterfly larval food plant and have a technical question for your readers.

I must create my own fencing -- or trellis if you will -- and need to choose between
a) 20 gauge hexagonal chicken wire, 16 gauge 1" x 2" welded mesh, or 10 gauge "square-deal knotted" sheep / goat fencing.
a) nylon garden trellis netting; see http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Garden-Tre...

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with this subject.

Positive chataugua On Sep 22, 2012, chataugua from MacAlester, OK wrote:

I am a little nervous that I may have created a monster.

I heard great things about the aromatic flowers, bought a couple of acres with a creek bottom running through it a couple of years ago, very sandy soil, once a plant is established it grows wonderfully, but initially needs lots of TLC and water in this very dry part of Oklahoma. Got a couple of plants from a online company and one was given to me, all this year, kept watering them, thought they were almost dying from lack of water and not all that much growth where I planted them. Finally got a few blooms from one plant the latter part of this year, was concerned because the caterpillars kept nibbling off the ends.

However.... a couple of months after planting, started seeing vines coming up amongst my grape vines and all sorts of other unusual places---as many as 20 and 30 feet from where I did my original plantings. They looked like passion fruit, but I couldn't believe they could have traveled that far, that quick. They did. The spots I picked to plant them weren't the best, but they easily found spots they liked better.

The way they grow reminds me of bind weed (wild morning glories) from my youth up north---- plant with caution, if you succeed in getting them established you will probably never get rid of them.

It is obvious these plants like this ecosystem, I am sure I will have tons of plants, tons of butterflies and fruit now that they are established. These plants will be great as cover to replace other thorny vines, but it is just as obvious that I will be spending lots of extra time protecting my grapes, raspberries, hops and such.

Neutral riggo On Sep 13, 2012, riggo from Shepherdstown, WV (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted this a couple of months ago, and while it's growing profusely, there are no flowers on it. Is there something one must do to get it to flower?
(Zone 6b)

Positive commanderbunn3y On Feb 25, 2012, commanderbunn3y from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is a native. Make sure you are planting the correct species if you want a native plants in your garden. I've planted it in North Carolina, Florida and Louisiana and have no issues with the plant 'getting out of control'. There are species that will take over the world if given a chance so be careful!

Positive Jibarito7 On Feb 21, 2012, Jibarito7 from Conway, FL wrote:

As soon as I planted it, the Gulf Fritillary found it. They have been gobbling it up ever since.(one of the reasons I planted it.) The flowers are beautiful, fruit tasty and it is green medicine. Between me and the caterpillers, we keep it in check.
P. incarnata is used for insomnia, headaches, hypertension and pain-relief

Positive gsteinbe On Nov 7, 2011, gsteinbe from Trenton, NJ wrote:

I grew my Maypops from seed, and because I'm at the northern edge of their possible range (zone 6), it has taken years for them to mature and produce fruit. They've produced blooms for years (beautiful Passionflower blooms -- intricate, scented). This year, for the first time, I got maybe a dozen fruits that reached ripeness before our first frost. As recommended online, I brought the fruits into my house and let them ripen further for a week or two. They taste really wonderful -- a hard-to-describe but delicious flavor. They're fiddly to eat (since you need to eat each segment with its single seed separately). But the flavor is worth it; my wife has become addicted. Yes, the vine is an aggressive grower, but a yank here and there seems to keep it in check (perhaps, again, because I'm at that northern edge of its range). I planted more seeds this spring and planted the seedlings out this fall. I hope to have more plants -- and much more fruit -- in future years. You can also eat the leaves in salads or as a vegetable (they have a pea-like flavor). Pretty flowers, delicious fruit, native plant -- what's not to like?

Update in May 2013: So much fruit last fall. We couldn't eat it all fast enough.

Neutral VFRPhotography On Sep 24, 2011, VFRPhotography from Clarksville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've noted this particular plant in a number of locations in my immediate region (Clarksville, Tennessee). In fact, I discovered this web site in an attempt to finally identify the bloom of one I found in Hopkinsville, Kentucky recently. I'd heard the common name for years but never conciously linked it to the vines, blooms and seedpods I'd seen for an equally long period. There are a few sites here where I've seen this in its invasive state but I usually only see these growing relatively harmoniously with other plants in the wild. The vine I discovered recently was growing wild in the midst of blackberries and underbrush beside an electric utility sub-station in Hopkinsville and I also found additional vines with seedpods but lacking blooms.

Positive td1026 On Apr 28, 2011, td1026 from Groveland, FL wrote:

Beautiful vine; these can be seen growing along river banks, on hills & in ditches, and disturbed sites all over here in central Florida. They make tangled patches that are tremendous in size and covered in dozens of flowers.The flowers fill the air with a scent I can't really describe, (if I had to take a stab at it, I'd say honey) which is pleasant in the air, but upon putting your nose in the flower, you are greeted by a rather musky and nasty smell. Don't grow these for fragrance! There's a dozen other passion flowers more well suited for that.

Positive anyoltime On Nov 14, 2010, anyoltime from Brandon, FL wrote:

This plant is native to the whole u.s. southeast and is required for the gulf fritillary butterfly life cycle(google it). while it is an agressive grower it cannot by definition be invasive due to the fact that you can not invade where you already are and naturally belong!??!? It may "invade" your yard or other plants but to say it is invasive in a horticultural blog is very misleadingbecause it belongs in its native territory.
p.s. the butterflies will thank you for growing it.

Positive Peedeer On Jun 22, 2010, Peedeer from Melbourne Beach, FL wrote:

The butterflies came, then left. The small caterpillars left behind got bigger, but ate all the leaves. The plant is still green, but no leaves. Now the caterpillars are in chrysalis. but still no leaves. Do you think it will grow its leaves back?

Positive mwdallas On Jun 3, 2010, mwdallas from Carrollton, TX wrote:

I planted one plant about 10 yrs ago and YES it does come back everywhere...even in the middle of my grassy yard. It's EVERYWHERE but I try to just pull up those I don't want. I wonder if you planted this in a pot (not in ground) if it would still somehow manage to invade. too late though. I already have tiny yellow dots (the start of caterpillars and soon butterflies!) on leaves. It covers my trellis "wall" and provides a private area on my patio with gorgeous flowers. One year I had ONE white flower...very odd. Butterflies use it as a host plant for their babies. The flowers are so unique!

Neutral carolyn1947 On May 26, 2010, carolyn1947 from Bostic, NC wrote:

I am 63 yrs. old & live in Bostic, NC. Growing up on the dirt roads of NC "maypop" vines were EVERWHERE! Not only did they give off that beautiful fragrance they was a way for my Grandfathetr to make some money. He would spend hours pulling the plant up by the roots removing the fruit, then spreading it in the barn loft to dry. In the fall "the herb man" would come to buy the dried maypop vines. It was hard, hot work but he loved to gather it along with several other wild herbs. It's unreal that there isn't any around here now. I have planted seeds & hope to have some later in the summer. Strange what you will do to relive a memory.

Positive kimmiebird On Sep 29, 2009, kimmiebird from Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

So, yes it can take over and vines pop up where you least expect, but the blooms are beautiful. I live in the Dallas area and all of the folige and vinse died back for the winter. It is also a host plant for a specif butterfly (who's name I can't recall). Overall I like this vine and it's worth it if you have space.

Positive RxAngel On Sep 27, 2009, RxAngel from Stratford, TX (Zone 6b) wrote:

I live in extreme Southwestern Kansas, and this is my first year here, and also my first year with PassionFlower experience. It took a while for it to get going, but last month I had a small explosion of blooms. But I have no fruit...any ideas why? Also, it does not seem to be spreading at all. As a matter of fact, my Black-eyed Susan vine is overtaking it now. It is a gorgeous, unusual flower, and the leaves are a very interesting shape. I hope it comes back next year. If not, I will definitely plant another one, and try it in a more sheltered place.

Positive ronobvious On Jul 16, 2009, ronobvious from Elgin, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Awesome, tropical-looking, native plant, which I have never found to be at all invasive.

Negative Biker1 On Jul 5, 2009, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was excited to plant this vine and see it flower and fruit in McLean, VA. Then, I saw it spread EVERYWHERE, year after year, despite removal of the vine. This plant is INVASIVE!

Neutral Bairie On May 20, 2009, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

A vine started growing on my fence a couple of weeks ago. It bloomed and seems to be a maypop, but the flower is tiny-- about 2" across, and seldom opens all the way. It has fruit on it about half-way covered with a lacy loose-fitting covering. Today it has 2 flowers, still folded inward, and about 4 fruits. The largest one is about 1" long.

Is this the same thing I'm seeing here? It's in the shade, and has not been watered until today. If it's the same thing, maybe I should cut it down before it takes over!?

Positive Phaltyme On Oct 26, 2008, Phaltyme from Garden City, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted a Passion Flower on a fence between our friends and our yard, it grew and bloomed. The next year, we couldn't find it, finally it showed up about 6 ft from the year
before. The following year, it was another 6ft away. MY DH and I fixed up a makeshift trellis for it. The original plants in
this place are Rose of Sharon. The passion vine has spread
all over them and we have a whole wall of their house covered in these 2 flowers. It is beautiful and we do it as a
joint effort.

Kay-phal (We are near Dearborn, MI)

Positive eliasastro On Oct 19, 2008, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Delicious fruit, very aromatic but with a strange aftertaste.

Negative bryceson4 On Sep 1, 2008, bryceson4 from Chauncey, OH wrote:

I live in southern part oh Ohio commonly referred to as appalachia Ohio. I purchased this plant two years ago at a local farmers market. I thought it would make a great addition to the garden along with my morning glories. And it was....the first year. It spreads like a virus!!!!!! It grows over everything, even the native Virginia Creeper vine has been overtaken! It's in the lawn, the shrubs, and in the eaves of my house!! It looks like I live in a jungle now. If I can't figure out how to control it next year I may just sign up for a house swap!!!

Positive crimsontsavo On Aug 13, 2008, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

If its native it ain't invasive!
I tell myself this as I have just discovered these growing in our field by the zillions. lol

Negative greenvillegal On Aug 2, 2008, greenvillegal from Greenville, SC wrote:

I saw this growing on our hill and was excited...my mom had one in a pot when I was a kid in Ohio. It was beautiful. I was amazed to find it back after the first and second winter. I thought I was seeing things as I didn't realize it grew on the edge of the woods so easly in this climate.

Well, it IS beautiful and unique but getting to be as invasive here as the honeysuckle in the south. Darn. It's growing up trees and spreading over anything! After the first 2 brush killer applications, we're getting something stronger and will keep killing sprouts.

I guess its fine IF you keep it in a pot!

Negative nomibird On Apr 18, 2008, nomibird from Gassville, AR wrote:

In northern Arkansas this is considered a weed because it is so invasive. My husband thought it would be pretty to let it fill in an area we hadn't landscaped yet. It took over the side of the house, put out pods, reseeded and we have had to diligently dig out the seedlings. Only vinca can keep it under control. Our lower field is full of it. Please come and dig out all you want. I couldn't believe that people would actually buy this and have trouble growing it.

Neutral cklammer On Mar 30, 2008, cklammer from Norwich, CT wrote:

I bought two small pots of this at a greenhouse in Danielson CT-- I hope to train it up a trellis with a bench. I am planning to leave it in pots and cut it back/bring it in in the cold weather. I don't see anyone growing it in CT yet.

About fruit--The workers at the greenhouse had a different Passifora growing, with fruit. They told me that you can pollinate it yourself with a popsicle stick or a q tip and it will bear fruit. I have yet to try any of this. It is just on the kitchen window for now. So glad to hear it is so hardy!

Positive mom91mom94 On Sep 10, 2007, mom91mom94 from Chillicothe, IL wrote:

Chillicothe,IL

I've had this plant in my yard for 14 years. It was here when we moved in. It took me a couple of years to figure out what it was.
I have it growing on the east side of my house-right next to the house. I have an arbor for it to climb on. Generally we try to control it-which is almost impossible to do. The last 2 years we have just let it go. It's covered the arbor,gone into the gutters & onto my roof. My husband realized a few years ago that it's really simple to train-just tie a string onto it & it will follow a string. I have some that we transplanted across the sidewalk & now grows up my garage. Of course there were a couple of stragglers that weren't where we wanted so he tied a string to it & it's now attached to the arbor.
We have loads of blooms & fruit on it this year-we counted the fruit today & there are at 60 on it. We attract alot of butterflies,bees,& hummingbirds with it.
I cut it back every fall & start watching in about May it comes back. Ours gets so out of control I give it away all summer. Seems like the more I give away the more it comes back! I've had people tell me that it won't grow here-or if it does it won't do well. That's when I bring them over here or whip out the pictures!
So any of you that are trying to grow it in IL-just be patient. Make sure it gets enough sun & not too much water. Mine gets full sun in the morning & has partial sun the rest of the day. I ignore it for the most part-no fertilizer & hardly ever water it. I've found that it's one of those plants that prefers to be ignored. Just make sure you give it lot of room-perfect fence cover.

Neutral ecmoores On Jul 13, 2007, ecmoores from Columbia, SC wrote:

Love the beautiful purple flowers. It attracts the Gulf Fritillary butterfly and the caterpillars love the leaves. It is fun to watch them grow big and fat and make chrysalises on the eaves of the house. I do not like the invasive nature of this vine. I started with one a bird nicely left the seed for and now have over 100 vines in the yard. Have to keep pulling them up or mowing them down to keep them in check. Very hard to get rid of.

Positive windwicche On Jul 3, 2007, windwicche from College Station, TX wrote:

Although we never tried to propagate this plant (my mother having a brown thumb), it grew wild all over Northeast Texas woods (near Louisiana) when I was a kid. It didn't show up every summer, we wouldn't see it at all if there was drought.

Positive dozer613 On Jun 23, 2007, dozer613 from Hillside, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Started from seed and had 3 plants, Only good to zone 6 and since I live in five I thought I would take a chance and try it. Planted it close to the house and mulched it for the winter.
Really did not expect it to come back this year but to my amazement I now have 4 plants coming back. Flowers are beautiful and so is the fruit.never ate it though.

Positive roysatx On Nov 15, 2006, roysatx from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I first noticed this plant as a kid, some twenty-five years ago. It was at that time being cultivated by our neighbors eight houses down on their back fence. Since then it has spread several blocks in all directions, climbing over, through or around anything that it comes in contact with! It's really an amazing plant, nothing seems to stop it. It has completely covered all the fences in my back yard and is really very pretty to look at, especially in the Fall when at any on time there are several hundred flowers and fruits spread amongst the vines!

Positive elsadawn On Aug 29, 2006, elsadawn from Lancaster, OH wrote:

In 2005 I moved into this apartment and this vine kept growing all over the shrub, so I pulled it off. That is until it bloomed. Now the shrub is gone and I have vines everywhere. And around fifty fruit. I read where parts are poisonus. But are the fruits safe to eat? My daughter lives in Toledo Ohio and she has taken plants to her yard to share with her neighbors.

Positive valb561 On Aug 27, 2006, valb561 from Okeechobee, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I found this vine in June & assumed that since I have many bird visitors to my yard, that was how it came to be. The leaves looked familiar to vines with beautiful flowers I've seen before, so I let it grow.
I was so excited when I saw the first flower & even more so when I saw a red seed pod! I didn't know if I should remove it yet, so I left it on the vine... bad move. After 2 weeks, there were only 2 seeds left & the pod was still red, so the next red pod was removed promptly & is now drying out on my counter.
Looking around my yard (jungle), I've found 3 more vines :)
I have to look for the flowers in the morning & early afternoon, as soon as the sun gets hot, they start closing.

Positive judycooksey On Jun 11, 2006, judycooksey from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

The Maypop grows wild here but we don't have a problem with it being invasive. Insects are very attracted to it, so when I saw one come up in the flower bed near my Brugmansias I decided to leave it, to see if it would lure the insects away from the Brugs. I'll let you know.

Positive BamaBelle On May 15, 2006, BamaBelle from Headland, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

My sis brought me a small piece of her P. Incarnata and told me to keep it in a pot for a couple of weeks before transplanting it. I finally put it in the ground a few weeks ago and, even though it is only about 8-12" tall, it has a bloom on it and six more buds! She also gave me a piece of her P. Constance Elliot which has grown a much larger vine, but has not put a single bud out.

Neutral Gabrielle On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This grows wild in Southern Arkansas, where much of my Mom's family comes from. That is where I got my start from. It is hardy in my zone 5a garden, but it does not bloom as much, and it does not produce fruit. I mainly grow it for the memory.

I remember playing with the fruit when I was little and visiting family in Arkansas; my Mom showed me how to put them together with sticks (like Tinker Toys) to make horses. I also remember my parents buying the herb in capsule form and giving it to me in the evening. YUK!!!

My information says it is hardy in zones 5-10. In cooler climates it is better planted against a south facing wall. Soaking seeds aids germination; it has a poor germination rate.

Positive whiten On Oct 26, 2005, whiten from Oak Grove, LA wrote:

This plant grows wild around where I live. When kids we'd go pick the fruit and eat it. It was really quite good. Never tried to grow it. There are always plenty wild ones around.

Positive cwpappas On Oct 24, 2005, cwpappas from St. Catharines, Ontario

I bought my house last Autumn in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada (fairly close to Niagara Falls) at which time there was only one Passion Flower plant growing next to the front doorthe previous owner said that it had been there for years. My wife pruned the plant back to ground level before the first snow.

Come spring, we had at least seven new plants springing up, some on the other side of a concrete stairway. Several of the plants grew all the way to the second-storey windows. We are rank beginner gardeners, and were so happy to see that our Passion Flowers took the initiative on their own.

Positive Night_Bloom On Apr 24, 2005, Night_Bloom from Griffin, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Last year in 2004 we had a dry spring, so the Gulf Fritillaries were a little late in arriving, so we actually had some passion fruit to eat. I found the flavor very interesting, a little sour, but also sweet.

The year before that in 2003, my husband worried that the plants would become a problem by growing over everything. I told him to be patient, because the baby Fritilary caterpillars had already hatched. Sure enough, within two weeks there was nothing left but the larger vines. The caterpillars had eaten everything including much of the fruit. Later that summer and early fall, we had Fritilary butterflies that had hatched from our babies all over our gardens.

Neutral marshtackie On Oct 27, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

Some time back I posted on P. caerulea but wasn't sure that was what I had. It wasn't. It's P. incarnata and it was a volunteer. An invasive weed I had no time to tackle. Then, suddenly, just before a hurricane, it burst into bloom. Wow! The hurricane knocked off the blooms, but I've had a few more since. It's possible that the hurricane before that pushed it into bloom, since Hurricane 1 knocked down a couple of trees and the yard is sunnier.

It's volunteered on the NORTH side of my house, all along a brick wall, and another plant is trying to choke my pineapples, which I will not allow. And note that I'm getting blooms in late October. Maypop, huh?

Frankly, I think the hybrids--is that "Incense" a hybrid of incarnata?--are prettier than the species because they're more purple. Even so, the flowers are lovely, especially with all the gloom the hurricanes brought. Just haveta be sure not to take a long vacation. I could come back and find my whole house covered up.

Thanks to all of you who took pictures of that lovely "Incense." I think it would be dynamite teamed up with a pale-yellow climbing rose, like Marechal Niel or Double Yellow Lady Banks.

Positive rh3708 On Oct 17, 2004, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The Incarnata I have came from a filed at my brothers.
I loved the way it smelled and the flower was lovely.
I had to take a piece of it home that was 4 years ago and it has taken over in my side garden it goes where it wants it is huge.
It has done well every year and only gets better.
It is a bit invasive but that is why i like it so much .
I do have to keep it off the roses but it isn't hard to keep cut back.
I have it climbing and rambling it has grown from full sun to part sun and it dose just as well in part sun as it dose in full.
I don't have to do much to or for this plant it is hardy and easy to take care of in zone 7.
I cut it back after the first frost and cover the ground with a bail of hay .
Then in the spring it comes back and it spreads its self to a new part of the yard.
It climbs most anything it can get a tendril on it is on my apple trees and on my burning bush.
It is also on my TV antenna this vine is wonderfully for a cover on the front porch.
I have a trellis all around the porch and the vine has coverd it so you cant see if anyone is on the porch.

Positive aviator8188 On Jul 13, 2004, aviator8188 from Murphysboro, IL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I really enjoy this vine. I have a Passiflora incarnata growing wildly on a trellis in my garden. The Passion Flower grows extrememly well here in zone 7a Murphysboro, Illinois. I live in extreme southern Illinois with average weather similiar to Tennessee. I have had P. incarnata growing here for only 2 years, which was started from roots a friend of mine gave to me. In that short time, this invasive, but ellegant vine has managed to grow 10 feet over the top of the trellis taking over my Chinese Porcelain Vine. It blooms from June to late September producing loads and loads of fruit. The fruit is about the size of a persons fist, with mostly air and seeds, but contains a sweet meat. Try to plant it out in your yard away from your house, because in hot summer weather, Passion Flower grows up to 3 inches per day! Runners which travel through the ground also pop-up randomly in my yard. Its not nearly invasive as the infamous Kudzu which grows around here, but you may find yourself mowing it down and trimming it back in peak summer heat!

Positive foodiesleuth On Jul 12, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

If you have ever tasted the passion fruit, you know the taste is like nothing you have ever tasted before. Perfumey and acidic, but great to work with and adapt to recipes. wonderful in jellies, syrups and as an ingredient in pies, cakes, ice cream, pudding and wonderful addition to juices.

I like to freeze juice in cube trays to add to summer drinks and iced tea. After freezing, pop out of tray and store in zipper plastic bag in freezer...otherwise it will sort of start evaporating in a few days.

The inside of the fruit is hollow and smooth, but has many black seeds with juicy pulp clinging aound them. They have to be passed through a fine sieve or through layers of cheesecloth to extract juice. I have a friend that boils the pulp and seeds in a bit of water to loosen it up and then passes through a sieve. Easier than my method, but I prefer to use the pure juice in my recipes.

If anyone wants recipes using passion fruit or liliko'i, as we call them in Hawaii, please just drop me a note. I will be happy to share.

Positive momom On Jul 11, 2004, momom from Perryville, MO wrote:

I just wanted to say how beautiful this flowering vine is!The fragrance is so nice.My great-grandmother planted this vine and had it a very long time,and it is still blooming today!I do have to say that each year it comes back in a slightly different spot!I love the symbolism of the crown of thorns that Jesus wore!(Missouri)

Positive dianaclay On Jul 10, 2004, dianaclay from Antioch, CA wrote:

Just planted a passion flower vine a few weeks ago. Seems to be thriving as most things do in my area (San Francisco Bay Area, CA). My brother-in-law has one growing over his fence from the neighbor's yard. That's where I first saw the blooms. The structure and beauty of the blossom facinated me and I searched every nursery in the area to find one for myself. No fruit yet. Looking forward to that!

Negative Regina2004 On Jun 14, 2004, Regina2004 from Opa Locka, FL wrote:

Although the vine has grown on the fence, which I wanted, I only get one beautiful flower at a time. However, there are many, many babies that never open. Am I doing something wrong? I live in hot and sunny Miami????

Regina

Positive tinacci On Jun 8, 2004, tinacci from Waverly, TN wrote:

From the fruit I have made some very good jelly. Taste a bit like apple.

Neutral CaptMicha On Jun 4, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this vine last year. It flowered amply but produced hollow fruit.

I unpotted it and planted in a protected place in the fall and it didn't come back this year.

Neutral Stace66 On Apr 6, 2004, Stace66 from Marietta, GA wrote:

Last year I purchased a small plant and the vine took off on a fence producing gorgeous flowers, but I don't know why I never saw any fruits on it at all? I cut back the vine and as of yet nothing has returned here near Atlanta in April. My mom had a wild passion flower growing a few years back, she cut back and it has never returned. Anyone who'd like to shed light on this plant is encouraged to write me Sasby@comcast.net. Thanks!

Positive bloomincrazy On Oct 6, 2003, bloomincrazy wrote:

When I was a child growing up in northwest Indiana (U.S.), we had a gorgeous passion vine that returned each year to grow up our chimney. I still live in Zone 5 and have tried several times to get one to winter well in this area. Its beauty is breathtaking - I can't give up!

Positive belle_fille On Sep 8, 2003, belle_fille wrote:

We found Purple Passion Flower plants while fencing property in Cleveland, Texas (U.S.) Such a beautiful flower with an unforgettable smell - now among one of my personal favorites and a new challenge to get to grow closer to the new house. (Wish us luck!)

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 1, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

This plant grows wild in my son's back yard near Atlanta, Georgia (zone 7b) but is somewhat in the shade of large trees, so it rarely flowers. It just rambles among the native ferns and tangles of blackberries.

In the late 1980's I found this plant growing on a chainlink fence at my former home in St. Petersburg, Florida (zone 9b), and it was always quite attractive if we got enough rain. I never really watered or fertilized it, as it was in a utility part of the yard behind a shed, but it survived quite nicely. Something--birds, squirrels or kids--always got to the fruit before I did, and what fruit I saw was always quite small. For people there are many other varieties of passionflower that have larger fruit. But this species is great for wildlife, especially as a food and nectar source for Gulf Fritillary butterflies.

Positive Hojean On Jul 31, 2003, Hojean wrote:

Maypop plants grow here in Hamburg, Arkansas (U.S.) It is growing on my sister's fencerow, and on the side of the road. This is a very beautiful plant--the blossoms are so exotic and unique!! I am going to get seeds from my sister and try to plant some in my yard.

Positive hawgfan On Jul 11, 2003, hawgfan from Blytheville, AR wrote:

My children actually planted this plant by mistake by throwing a passion fruit down outside. The next year I noticed a beautiful vine with unusual flowers growing there. Since then we have transplanted and planted seeds to make beautiful Passiflora incarnata vines in several places in our yard. Now we are sharing them with friends.

Positive Ave On Jul 5, 2003, Ave from Houston, TX wrote:

Although this plant has become very invasive in my yard I am not willing to completely remove it. It is host plant for the Gulf Fritillary Butterfly; the first year it bloomed we had hundreds of butterflies in our yard. The activity was spectacular. The sweet scent of the blooms is an especially appreciated bonus.

Neutral Maudie On Jul 4, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

I like this plant very much, but here in central Alabama (U.S.) it is difficult to contain; in fact, it could be considered invasive under normal conditions.

It has fruit now and still blooming. I think I will try it in a container and see how that works.

Neutral clantonnaomi On Jul 4, 2003, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

I have grown this purple passion vine for several years and I have never seen any fruit.

Neutral purplehbee On Jul 3, 2003, purplehbee from Deer Park, TX wrote:

I have had "Purple Passion Vine" for several years now and I have never seen the fruit. I am amazed!

Positive W8N4Answers On Jul 3, 2003, W8N4Answers from Brooklyn, MD wrote:

I brought a small piece of a root back from a trip to Atlanta. It took off and grew beautifully. When we moved to our new house, we dug up the roots and now have one growing here. I have it climbing along a fence, but think I would like to try it in a huge pot so I can contain it somewhat.

Positive Annetta1 On Jun 13, 2003, Annetta1 from Paris, TN wrote:

It is very much a noxious weed in West, TN but a very beatiful one! Plant it in a lrg. pot, bury the pot and cut All seed pod off and you should give you much pleasure for years.

Neutral Thaumaturgist On Jun 12, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

According to legend, the elaborate floral structure of a
Passion Flower is similar to the elements of the Passion
or Crucifixion of Christ:

The 5 petals and 5 sepals are the 10 Apostles (omitting
Peter and Judas).
The 3 pistils (or styles) are the nails of the Cross;
The corona (or filaments) at the top of the flower is
the Crown of Thorns,
The 5 anthers are the 5 wounds,
The stemmed ovary is the Lord's Goblet.

Of over 460 known species of Passiflora, only one is
native to the US, Passiflora incarnata, known also as
Maypop.

Wild, invasive and virtually indestructible, I found
hundreds of them of varying lengths and sizes in the
woods next to a Park in Rockledge, Florida(32955). These photos were taken in diffused but very low natural light
in late afternoon.

Positive KarlaJo On Sep 3, 2002, KarlaJo from Lake Waukomis, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Our "Maypop" ("Purple Passion") plant just appeared one day along the base of our foundation. It grew and grew so we got a large trellis for it. It has grown over and above the trellis and is to the roofline. It has flowers everywhere and is just beautiful. We also have several fruit this year. It is manageable with a trellis, but not without.

Neutral dave On Aug 21, 2001, dave wrote:

This is considered to be the only zone 7 hardy passiflora to produce edible fruit. Where I live, in East Tennessee, it is native and considered by some to be a weed.

Athens, Alabama
Salem, Alabama
Trinity, Alabama
Vincent, Alabama
Douglas, Arizona
Glendale, Arizona (2 reports)
Barling, Arkansas
Blytheville, Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Gassville, Arkansas
Morrilton, Arkansas
North Little Rock, Arkansas (2 reports)
Scott, Arkansas
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Apopka, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradley, Florida
Brandon, Florida (2 reports)
Bushnell, Florida
Campbell, Florida
Casselberry, Florida
Combee Settlement, Florida
Conway, Florida
Crystal River, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Fountain, Florida (2 reports)
Fruitville, Florida
Gibsonton, Florida
Groveland, Florida
Haverhill, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)
Jan Phyl Village, Florida
June Park, Florida
Lake Worth, Florida
Lake Worth Corridor, Florida
Madeira Beach, Florida
Malabar, Florida
Masaryktown, Florida
Melbourne Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Monticello, Florida
Brunswick, Georgia
Cornelia, Georgia
Dallas, Georgia
Griffin, Georgia
Marietta, Georgia (2 reports)
Martinez, Georgia
Hammond, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Montz, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Oak Grove, Louisiana
Four Oaks, North Carolina
Henderson, North Carolina
Kernersville, North Carolina
Mountain View, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)
Smithfield, North Carolina
North Augusta, South Carolina
Pelzer, South Carolina
Prosperity, South Carolina
Woodruff, South Carolina
Clarksville, Tennessee (2 reports)
East Brainerd, Tennessee
Carrollton, Texas
Cloverleaf, Texas
Copperas Cove, Texas
Dalworthington Gardens, Texas
Deer Park, Texas (2 reports)
Desoto, Texas
Palacios, Texas
Plano, Texas
Point Comfort, Texas
Sachse, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Sanger, Texas