Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Hard Rock'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hard Rock

Bushnell, Illinois

Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Provincetown, Massachusetts

On Jan 14, 2008, ddrsheden from Bushnell, IL wrote:

The first time I tried this plant was in '06. The plants are short, about 3 ft. The production was high for a plant that size. We use this tomato in canning whole tomatoes and mixing it with Roma and Opalka in making salsa and spaghetti sauce. As others have noted the tomatoes are solid.

On Jun 29, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Great production. Way too bland. Name should be "Hard as a Rock."

On Sep 21, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I just think this Plum variety is OK, nothing special. The taste was just so so, and it was about as productive as the Roma ones I bought at the garden center, and a little less meaty. Two good things; the fruit stores well if that is a concern (I use mine right away so this is not something I care about), and unlike many other varieties that drop fruit on the ground, the fruit stayed firmly attatched 'til I pulled it off, even after well-ripened.

On Jul 26, 2006, Tomatoholic from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

DH and I have enjoyed the HR. Very productive, longer shelf life than others, meaty, nice taste for salads. I like it better than Roma. It is very similar to Firenze in my opinion.

On May 14, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This variety is very productive, with heavy production of medium paste type tomatoes. The taste is nothing unique; medium sweet and medium tart. The fruit could easily be used in any recipe that requires a "roma" type tomato. The plant is very healthy, an orderly, compact determinate. If I grow this variety again; it will be because of high production on very compact, disease resistant plants and because it will easily tuck in to small places in the landscape. 64 days in my spring 2006 garden.

On Nov 29, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

My first reaction to seeing the name of this cultivar was "At last, truth in advertising" I don't really know if it is hard or not. but it is advertised as a blocky 3 ounce saladette with a tang.