Passionfruit, Granadilla, Qarandila, Maracuja, Passion Vine, Passionvine

Passiflora edulis

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: edulis (ED-yew-liss) (Info)

USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

Light Blue

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By grafting

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Vincent, Alabama

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Collinwood, Tennessee

Spring Branch, Texas

On May 15, 2015, billd3 from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew two Passiflora edulis vines from seed in Portland Oregon (zone 8b.) Potted in 20 inch pots; one in a sheltered sunny west-facing side of the house, the other in a south-facing wall against the garage exposed to easterly winds.
They grow rapidly when well watered and fertilized. Both flowered from September onwards. Several fruit started developing but too late to mature before winter.
The plant in the sheltered location got through winter okay. I covered the pot and lower trunk with plastic bubblewrap and placed a seed germination heating pad around the pot during our week of 20s F winter weather. I pruned back stems with many dead or unhealthy leaves early spring. It started growing strongly again in April throwing out many new vines.
The other vine exposed to ... read more

On May 22, 2007, Phytodealer from Brasília
Brazil wrote:

Very fast growing climber in my city( Brasília, warm climate all year) since you water it regularly and frutifies early. It´s perennial and once it starts fruiting it won´t stop, but beware of caterpillars: Butterflies of the Dionaea genera will lay eggs on the leaves and when they hatch they will turn into black caterpillars which will eat through the plant´s aerial parts, this is not a big problem if the infestation is low because once the climber is deprived of it´s leaves it will send new shoots and become more dense, so it is quite positive but be alert not to let the situation get out of control.

On Dec 15, 2006, wtliftr from Wilson's Mills, NC wrote:

bought a couple of purple passion fruits from the grocery store; planted the seeds. Most all of them germinated! I'm a teacher, and have large windows in my classroom; the plants love it. An earlier plant is now about 12 inches high- can't wait until it blooms in a couple of years. I germinated the seeds by putting them in a black plastic tray full of dirt, watered the soil, put the tray in a plastic zip lock bag, and set the bag on a propagation mat. Seeds took about 2 weeks to sprout.

On Oct 6, 2006, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

I found purple granadilla germination very easy in early summer. (I got the seeds from raw fruit and dried them. I noticed that the seeds remain viable for not more than one year). It is an easy potted plant, but needs a lot of space.
The appearance of the plant is very beautiful and tropical, actually much more beautiful than the hardy passifloras.
The young plant flowered only 3 months after germination, when it had reached a height of less than two meters.
Each flower opened during only one day. It opened in the morning and closed in the evening.
Fruit set was very easy, but the fruits wouldn' t ripe because by then it was October and the average temperature dropped below 68F/20C.
Also, when high's were in the 60's (

On Aug 14, 2006, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

We planted ours in May ( 3 monthsago ) and it has grown very quickly. Lots of beautiful purple fowers, but no fruit yet.

On Apr 11, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Purple passionfruit is hardier than the yellow passionfruit and giant granadilla. It can tolerate frosts and light freezes. Not sure what the exact temperature it is killed back however. Grows very quickly and has beautiful flowers. Delicious fruit follows. Another great feature of this plant is it attracts three kinds of butterflies in Florida: zebra longwing (state butterfly), gulf frittilary, and julia (south florida). They lay their eggs and the plant leaves serve as a larval food source.

On Jun 30, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I think this is the one we call "liliko'i" here in Hawaii. Used commercially in juices, passion-orange the most popular mix. Straight it's a bit too tart for me. I rated it neutral as I have never grown it, haven't seen one in a while either. As kids we would pick the fruit and suck out the juice, lots of seeds but good on a hot day. (zone 11)
P.S. this, along with several other passifloras, are on pest plant list for Hawaii (UH Botony Dept)

On Jun 1, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I planted this species once. Almost every seed germinated. The 4 plants I selected grew up and became big vines under partial shade. They even resisted 2 attacks from catterpillars. But after 4 years, when they were going to bloom, they were attacked by a virus and died.

This is by far the most popular passion fruit in Brazil. Depending on the region, they are sold really cheap. My mother-in-law has them planted in her ranch, and they produce so many fruits that she and her employees can't get them all. I love this fruit in almost any way: jams, jellies, juices, ice creams, pies, cakes, puddings. My mother makes a syrup with the juice and seeds that is great on ice creams, fruit salads, and puddings (a guava pudding she makes with maracujá syrup is unbelievable). Sometimes, ... read more

On Jun 1, 2004, rylaff from Niceville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am barely in zone 8b, almost 8a looking at the map. This is one of the few passifloras that did not die back this past winter. A few leaves sustained some damage, but other than that came out fine. The leaves on this one are huge, so if you are looking for a dainty one, this aint it!

On May 14, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We have several wild patches of the vines growing on the property where we live. It fruits about twice a year, with nice big yellow fruit.

I juice them and freeze the juice if I'm not going to use right away. I also make syrup with some of the juice and keep in the refrigerator.

One of the most interesting fruit we grow. You can also eat the seeds, which are crunchy, when mixed in fruit salads.

On May 13, 2004, johnincentex from Harker Heights, TX wrote:

I love this vine, and all the variety of flowers. I have red, blue and purple growing currently. With the bluc ones doing the best. They grow with little help, and conveniently die back with a couple good frosts. So they never get to overgrown, like the honeysuckle around here.

On Jun 8, 2003, teddyJ from Rockhampton
Australia wrote:

P. edulis are rampant evergreen vines in a sub tropical climate like mine. They bear some fruit all the time and have 2 main crops yearly and need to be replaced after around 5 years due to woody virus. The Yellow fruited variety are sweeter than the Purple and are more succeptible to frost damage.