Kaka Beak, Kowhai Ngutu Kaka
Clianthus puniceus 'Roseus'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clianthus (klih-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: puniceus (pun-IK-ee-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Roseus

Not Applicable

Scarify seed before sowing

Fairfield, California

On Apr 21, 2015, snafunaafi from London
United Kingdom wrote:

Bought two plants at a garden show 18 months ago. These were left in small pots in the garden and were almost totally stripped of their leaves by snails, who love them.

Placed in larger pots surrounded by slug pellets and raised off the ground on bricks, both plants survived and were transplanted into a wooden crate place against the wall of our house. Surrounded of course by slug pellets.

Both plants are now 3 foot tall and I now intend to transplant them in a purpose built flower bed, with a six foot wall as a back drop.

This should give me the chance to arrange the right type of soil for their needs. The one problem I have encountered is the different type of advice given, from independant, to RHS sites. I have glemed that the plant likes fr... read more

On Apr 26, 2006, jusamby from Wallingford, PA wrote:

I have to say this has to be the best plant I have ever grown. It was given to me as a tiny wee thing, that I thought would never survive (by the real estate agent that my boyfriend bought his house from.)

The garden would make you want to cry ! Beautiful natives were being overrun by weeds etc... Anyway ..I made a space for the little thing that I knew was special in NZ history and gardening, and went about business of clearing the rest of the property. Four years later when we were had to move because of my husband job, this wonderful, overgrown monster was clearly in its element in a moist sunny location.

This is an absolutely wonderful species, that if you ever come across, please, plant! It will reward you many times over. The seed pods have the ability ... read more

On Jan 25, 2006, koolkatken from Auckland
New Zealand wrote:

Beautiful plant. The flowers are great and quite unique. Live here in Auck., NZ so I suppose it is the most suitable climate. I would think it likes fairly mild winters (no or little frost), and not too hot summers and plenty of water. Don't know if this helps though... cheers.

On Dec 5, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I wasn't sure if I should give this postive, so neutral for now. I may change my view, as I bought the seed (I think in 2001) from Norfields, UK. Sown after scarifying (just a slight chip or sandpapering) in a propagator to start. I had a very good germination rate and, at first, they seemed to do well.

The problem seems to be that they possibly don't like to be kept in a cold greenhouse overwinter, as each winter they seemed to go backwards. I lost most, the main problem being the roots deteriorating. I had one germinate in a pot with a camellia which I am sure I repotted in spring or summer 2003, and as I had reused the original compost it obviously liked to be outside, and germinated 2 years later.

This is doing well, and the roots are a little bared... read more