Okra 'Fife Creek Cowhorn'

Abelmoschus esculentus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelmoschus (a-bel-MOS-kus) (Info)
Species: esculentus (es-kew-LEN-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Fife Creek Cowhorn
Synonym:Hibiscus esculentus

Not Applicable

Monticello, Georgia

Jonesville, South Carolina

On Dec 16, 2012, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Give this variety plenty of room to sprawl out because Fife Creek has the capability of growing very tall and wide. The pods can be picked a day or two later than regular types and still be tender. This is not always the case but for the most part, holds true. Okra can grow a lot in 24 hours! The pods are light green in color and may even look a tad yellow at times. This variety is very productive, tastes well, and requires minimal effort. I was very impressed with this type of okra. I will grow again!

On Dec 24, 2009, SkipOnStars from Monticello, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I absolutely love this variety. It produced as well as the Clemson Spineless and Red Burgundy varieties, but remained tender longer. Beautiful light green, it's very tasty and prolific. Sadly not offered this year from Baker Creek Seeds (rareseeds.com). I'm glad I bought an extra pack last year, because it's gonna be my only okra so I can save the seeds.

On Dec 5, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An heirloom that has been in the Fife family since around 1900 and believed to have came to them from a Creek Indian woman who stayed with them for one year in Jackson, Mississippi. Large, long pods stay tender longer than most; huge plants are very productive.