Crimson Passion Flower, Grape-Leaved Passion Fruit, Passion Vine, Passionvine

Passiflora vitifolia

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: vitifolia (vy-tee-FO-lee-uh) (Info)

By simple layering

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Glendale, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

Castro Valley, California

Citrus Heights, California

Gardena, California

Long Beach, California

North Highlands, California

San Diego, California (3 reports)

Santa Ana, California

Stockton, California

Deland, Florida

Hialeah, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Loxahatchee, Florida

Mulberry, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Okeechobee, Florida

Opa Locka, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Wauchula, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Winter Springs, Florida

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana

Carthage, Mississippi

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Alvin, Texas

Humble, Texas (2 reports)

Keller, Texas

Tyler, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

Puyallup, Washington

On May 16, 2015, miamigardens from OPA LOCKA, FL wrote:

In order to set fruit you will need another variety to pollinate. Grows very well in Miami in shade or full sun. Does not like to be transplanted and very slow to recover.

On Aug 20, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had this vine in my garden for four seasons. I had to dig up one because I had it in a bad place. To my surprise it came up on its own not too far away in a much better spot last year. This year it climbs an almond bush and isn't as aggressive as the "Incense Passiflora" is and gives a few blooms a day from mid summer to first frost, blooming the most in the fall and early winter months. It completely freezes in winter when temps dip below freezing and the dead vines are very easy to pull down. The piece I dug up has come back in the pot I had it in and I planted it in the ground in late spring, it is still doing well and seems to like the sunshine location better than the shade.

On Aug 22, 2010, fr13 from Valdosta, GA wrote:

I have had a red passion vine for about ten years and guess I have fallen in love with it it used to grow wildly and have hundreds of flowers all the time but the last few years it has barely grown back last year I got some flowers but this year all I have is a few feet of vine Last year I bought some replacement plants from ebay but I both left some in pots and planted some but they all died The original one I bought was a good size when I bought it it was in a 5 gallon pot I have not been able to find and in garden shops near me I am heartbroken :-(

On Aug 28, 2009, greenthum3 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

Very fast gower, does well in full sun and attracts butterflies that use it to lay eggs. The leaves get eaten but they can be trimmed off and it's neat to watch the larvae change.

On Sep 23, 2008, ladybarber101 from Lancaster, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have had this Passie in th eground for two years and Im not all that happy with it. It has its own lattice wall and gets plenty of water even planted across the front for root shade and its doesnt do well. i get a few blooms and it somewhat covers the lattice but no fruit and now its dying back for no apparent reason. Just unsure what is going on with it my other passies are thriving...

On Jun 4, 2008, Jbessinger00 from Louisville, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I currently live in the north end of Tucson, AZ in the Catalina area and have 8 plants growing beautifuly and vibrant. I have had great sucess, and survived through the winter when sooooo many people told me it wouldn't. Of course this is only one of the 5 total varieties that I have, and plan to introduce more to my garden.

On Oct 19, 2007, nwtokarchik from Austin, TX wrote:

I planted one of these against a light post when it was 6" tall last May and now it's mid-October and it has grown to be about 6' tall and spreads about the same in every direction. This plant will surely take hold and cover anything it can get a hold of but as long as you plan for it you shouldn't have any problems. Will find out here in the next few months if it will survive the winter here in Austin.

On Sep 2, 2007, birdgrrl from North Highlands (Sacto), CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I started this vine from cuttings I got in San Francisco. I took the cuttings in winter and started them in water in the window. One got roots, so I put it in dirt and covered with a plastic bag until I saw new growth. I kept it on the covered patio during the killer winter, covering with a towel at night. It grew to 3 ft tall by April. I planted it in full sun, with a shade cloth over it, which I gradually removed. It is huge; much larger than 20 feet. It does not have many blooms, but it is always blooming a little. It has covered my roses (6 of them) and is still spreading. I think once I get the culture right, it will be a knockout. I have 4" of bark mulch around it.

On May 25, 2007, Sheila965 from Rincon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased mine at a nursery for $25. It was slow starting but it is now blooming beautifully! Very exotic looking flowers...

On Jul 18, 2006, phoenixtropical from Mesa, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Crimson passion flower is sold in the Phoenix Arizona area in the big box stores but it really cannot take the heat and the cool winters. However, some other varieties of passion flower, such as the purple passion fruit variety, do well here.

On Oct 19, 2005, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A few months ago I got 2 of these from Lowes clearance table for $3 each thinking someone I knew would want them. No one did so I ended up just sticking them both into a huge pot with a tall trellis. They are thriving, sending out new growth & look like they are going to take over anything they can reach. The tag that came with them says these are self-fruitful. The tag also says they are cold hardy to 40 degrees. I plan on leaving mine outside but we sometimes get into the 30's so it will be interesting to see if they will survive against the wall under the eaves.

On May 11, 2005, twenty2libras from Greenwell Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

i grow all my passiflora in pots, and i've never had a problem doing so...except with this variety. it refuses to send out new growth or flower. i do wish it would, as the blooms i have seen on other plants are breathtaking. will try to put it in the ground, and see if that helps. will update. as of right now, i wouldn't recommend growing in a container.

On Jun 3, 2004, gogators from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

I live in West Palm Beach Florida and have several passiflora varieties growing with fruit including this one. I was able to hand pollinate but I'm not clear if this plant requires pollen from another type of passiflora plant. I can experiment if someone wants me to. My fruit is like the ones in the pictures. I have not tasted the fruit yet, however. Looking forward to trying it.

On May 17, 2004, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Wa
I just purchased the Crimson Passion Flower at a local nursery/greenhouse. It is in a gallon container and looks great. I am going to have to keep it in the greenhouse as it is more tender than the cruelon or blue passion flower. I have the blue passion vine growing outside in the ground and it starting to bloom for the summer. Both are very exotic looking plants and have a wonderful smell. I have one fruit on the blue passion last year, the slugs loved it. Good luck with yours and with your gardening.

On Apr 14, 2004, herbman75 from Cornelia, GA wrote:

Plant performed well as an annual in zone 7b, 75 miles north of Atlanta. Completely covered the railing on my grandmothers back porch in a single season. Tried to mulch heavily to bring it back in the spring, but was unsucessful, also unable to obtain seed. This was extremely disappointing due to the fact I paid about $18.00 for it at a retail nursery. Pricey, but a real showstopper in the garden. Anyone who visited my grandmother last summer was very impressed with the plant, most had never even seen it in our area and were chomping at the bit to find one for themselves. I would buy another if I could find one and were not so broke!

On Apr 4, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have recently found this plant growing as a fence cover in Hilo, HI. I'm trying to get one for our own yard to grow over an arbor, but the plant owner 'refused' to allow we to dig a small volunteer.
Will keep my eye on it as to any fruit developing in the next few months.

On Jul 7, 2003, kinderteacher from Miami, FL wrote:

This beautiful vine thrives in my backyard with minimun care. However, I have not been able to get any fruits from it. The flowers, large and beautiful, fall after a couple of days with no development of fruit. I would like to get some advise as to what to do to get fruits.