PlantFiles: Dragon Tree, Dracaena, Cornplant, Chinese Moneytree
Dracaena fragrans 'Warneckei'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: fragrans (FRAY-granz) (Info)
Cultivar: Warneckei
Additional cultivar information: (Deremensis group; aka White Stripe, Souvenir August de Schrijver, Warnecki)

Synonym:Aletris fragrans

By palmbob
Thumbnail #6 of Dracaena fragrans by palmbob

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Dracaena fragrans by palmbob

Positive psljbeachj On Feb 27, 2013, psljbeachj from Jensen Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

We've had this plant growing in the ground in our shade garden for 4 years. Not a fast grower mind you. Though if you supply abundant moisture and regular showers with the hose in times when the rains are infrequent it will grow at a pleasing pace. It needs to grow with protection from salt wind or it will burn. Salt damage can be minimized if you rinse the foliage frequently during gusty ocean winds (we tend to get those allot here on the southeast Florida coast). Cold damage has never really been a problem for us. So we aren't real familiar with the precautions needed in this regard.

Neutral amber_mle On Mar 7, 2010, amber_mle from Charles City, IA wrote:

We just got one of these plants and were researching to see if it would be poisonous or toxic to our dogs, and we found out that it is. So if you have pets, be sure to keep it out of reach!

Positive MargarethR On Feb 10, 2010, MargarethR from Orkney
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi

I live on a remote north island off Orkney Islands UK. I have had this plant for some years among other foliage plants. It lives in the unheated South facing porch of my house. On the first of February this flower spike appeared. I have kept many plants and have never seen this kind of plant in flower especially 'foliage' plants and most certainly not in our climate. It is very like the Dracaena " Warneckei" however it is yellow stripes not silver! Our position is hyperoceanic therefore I would not chance this plant in the garden, however I do have a Cornish Palm growing very happily there and they abound in other gardens in Orkney. Is it likely to die now it is flowering?

Positive fleurone On Feb 6, 2008, fleurone from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had this in a container on the pool deck for nearly a year in full sun , it was in regular potting compost and was hosed down each evening or received rainfall. Only other care was some epsom salts now and again.
Recently moved the plant , around 3' tall to the garden ( see pic ) but will wrap if we have any more frosts and will bring in next winter .

Positive wallaby1 On Dec 7, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this plant over 7 years ago as a young plant. It is now nearly 4 feet tall, I have it in a 19cm, deep pot. It requires very little watering, the top should be left to dry before watering, less in winter. In very warm climates water freely spring to autumn. I have pebbles on the surface, it is kept in my lounge in a shady place, and I very rarely water it. It does prefer moderate humidity, that may depend on the climate, too much heat can dry the leaves so shelter from hot sun should be given.

This has to be the easiest house plant I have grown, it looks after itself. A very attractive leaf striping, dark green edges, grey-green centre striped with shades of green, centre edged in broad bands of white. Leaves 16-24 inches long, lance to strap shaped, and of leathery substance.

A tropical plant native to W., C, and E. Africa.

Jensen Beach, Florida