Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Black Pineapple'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Pineapple
Additional cultivar information:(aka Ananas Noire)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Avondale, Pennsylvania

Elgin, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

On Mar 31, 2015, Pitcom from Avondale, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Any lover of tomatoes who has not yet grown this variety is seriously missing out on a real treat. I was skeptical about some of the glowing reviews I had read about Ananas Noire, but now it is my turn to add to them. The flavor of this variety is outstanding and not quite like any other tomato I have grown. It was sweet, without masking its earthy undertone, like any good tomato should have. The colors it produces are very attractive on the plate as well. I had many requests and praises for this variety which has earned it a yearly spot in my garden.

On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

started this tomato late march planting out late may 2011 zone 3. had one plant that didn't look too promising at first.
small plant, late to set fruit
small yield only about 6 mid sized tomatos
marbled color, fruity taste
required heavy watering
good for interest will not grow again due to limited space

On Aug 2, 2009, LoraTW619 from Mount Washington, KY wrote:

This is hands down the best tasting tomato in my garden this year....beating out Paul Robeson, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and even Brandywine! I was admittedly shocked, but also very pleasantly surprized. Production has not as heavy as some of the others, but it's definately going to be a repeat performer for years to come in my garden.

On Jul 10, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I really like this tomato! It has a sweet, spicy flavor and is very pretty when sliced. This was my earliest non-cherry tomato of the season and is producing like crazy. The plant stays fairly compact and hasn't had any problems with disease. There really isn't a downside except that this one is best eaten fresh as it doesn't keep well. Definitely will grow again.

On Aug 19, 2007, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this tomato. I was a little surprised at the color as I was expecting a "black" variety. The colors are eye-catching on a presentation platter, and the flavor is deicately sweet.

The only negative is its inability to "hold its water". I had around 10 pounds of them rot on the vines during the heavy rains we had early this month. Such a disappointment after waiting and waiting for them to ripen, but I will definitely grow it again.

On Jun 24, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Flavor is good when fruit is allowed to get very ripe, otherwise, can be on the bland side.

On Sep 19, 2006, mimitho from Sonoma County, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Exciting for a first-time gardener with its pretty colors. Taste is good, other varieties have more intense flavor for sure, but this does nice as a sliced tomato to eat by itself or in a salad.

On Dec 8, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This unusual variety was developed by Pascal Moreau, a horticulturist from Belgium. The multi-colored, smooth fruit (green, yellow and purple mix) weigh about 1 1/2 lbs. The flesh is bright green with deep red streaks.Both sweet and smokey with a hint of citrus. High yielding.